• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1983 Goldwing GL1100

• Owner

As for the Goldwing it been sitting for years. I parked it after I blew the left head gasket. No matter what I've done after that always had a over heat issue. Radiator rodded out and clean, the water pump replaced, thermostat replaced, full gauges added (Autometer), etc. Still run upwards of 230*F on a cool day. The only way to ride it was near 40*F day then it barely makes like 200*F coolant temp. My theory is the head was milled too much and compression is too high now. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2022 at 1:00 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

As for the Goldwing it been sitting for years. I parked it after I blew the left head gasket. No matter what I've done after that always had a over heat issue. Radiator rodded out and clean, the water pump replaced, thermostat replaced, full gauges added (Autometer), etc. Still run upwards of 230*F on a cool day. The only way to ride it was near 40*F day then it barely makes like 200*F coolant temp. My theory is the head was milled too much and compression is too high now. 

Were both heads skimmed the same ? or was just the left head done

Can you adjust the timing ? if so try advancing the timing a couple of degrees, only thing with that is it will take the total too high once the advance comes in, can the advance be restricted any way.

Only saying as I used to have a distributor machine and recurve American car and truck distributors to run cooler on the fuel we have, fuel for sometime has burnt slower so needs fired off earlier  but without the total timing increase, so as an example standard timing say is 10deg BTDC with a advance of 10deg so total is 20deg, if you then increase static to 12deg your total is now 22deg, 2 deg needs taking out of the advance spread to get back to 20deg, and then mess with the curve (real distributors thats springs and easy as you know) 

The above is a simple explanation and does take a lot more messing around to get right

when running and warm does it stink and make your eyes water ?

I just checked at Cometic and they don't appear to do custom head gaskets for that model, do for the 1500 and 1800 wing

• Owner

Both head were done for surfacing and valve seals. New cam belt and timing is dead one on the cams. Radiator was rodded out and like new. New water pump. Carburetors rebuilt. Ignition timing is electronic no adjustments in the base plate (rear of engine). Check timing with a timing light and it in time. Still tips the coolant gauge at 240°F on 50°F day. I've got autometer gauge set hooked up. Now at 32°F outside it will stay about 200°F. I've not fired this up in years.