• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Why I am here

kerley

My name is Kerley.I am a retired contractor from California and Nevada.Six years ago my best buddy died. He willed me his 1998.5 Dodge 4x4. I had it shipped from Nevada to Alabama, where we chose to retire. The dodge sat for three years. I did not really need it as I drove my 1990 Dodge Cummins/4x4 which was pretty much bullet proof. Finally I sold the 1990 and put the 1998.5 back into service. First I installed new battries and windshield wipers and serviced it completely. It ran alright but never had much energy. One day we went to town and I needed fuel. Pulled into a BP where they advertised diesel fuel. I pulled up to the diesel pump. When I flipped open the fuel door and stuck my hand in to remove the fuel cap a damned hornet stung the xxx out of me. I was pissed off and grabbed the green fuel nozzle, determined to get revenge and filled my tank with gasoline. I paid no attention and fired her up and got about a 1/2 mile and she died. I then knew what I had done. I called a tow truck and was towed to a diesel repair shop. They said they could fix it for about one hundred dollars, I was releaved. I told the mechanic that I wanted the fuel tank drained and the fuel lines blown out with fresh diesel, he assured me that that is what they would do. About one hour later I was told that the truck was repaired as requested and also installed a new fuel filter and five gallons of fresh diesel fuel.., I paid $113.00 and left. I got about one mile and the truck ran real rough, finally died. I called the shop and they came right away, used either and got me started then followed me to a diesel station where I filled the tank. The tank held twelve gallons of diesel. He said that it would run better as I drove it. Went home, ran rough all the way. I parked in my yard. Two weeks lated we used the truck again, ran rough and died fifteen miles from home. I called the shop as all his work was guaranteed. They sent a mechanic out and he tried everything he could think of with no luck. Finally called a tow truck and back to his shop. A week later he said the truck was fixed and ran like new. I went right down there only to see that someone had stolen the factory step off the drivers side. I complained and they said they would replace it but it might take a couple of weeks to find the mate to mine. He also presented me with a bill foe $2880.44 for a tow, rebuilt vp44, and stock fuel lift pump. I was totally angry but they had my truck and I had to pay. Sence that day I have read every thing I can find ob 1998.5 Dodges. I am honest and I cant describe the feelings for some dirty sob that cheats me and makes me like it.THATS WHY I AM HERE. Sorry for the long winded story,~Kerley

I went right down there only to see that someone had stolen the factory step off the drivers side. I complained and they said they would replace it but it might take a couple of weeks to find the mate to mine. He also presented me with a bill foe $2880.44 for a tow, rebuilt vp44, and stock fuel lift pump. I was totally angry but they had my truck and I had to pay. Sence that day I have read every thing I can find ob 1998.5 Dodges. I am honest and I cant describe the feelings for some dirty sob that cheats me and makes me like it.THATS WHY I AM HERE.

ditto....i didn't own i vehicle until i was 20. i had found a local shop that did my maintenance at a reasonable price(since i didn't know $*%! about cars). the drivers side rear drum went out and i took it to them. new drum and a rebuild later the charge me ~$850(FOR 1 DRUM,not even both sides!) i had to miss work because they took 4 days to complete(they had ordered the wrong drum size) convinced the robbed me without a gun, i swore that shop off. the next time i had work done i took it to a different shop with reasonable rates, and told them if it costs more than $100 call me prior to starting the job. they never called...after 3 days i went to see what was up, and they slapped my with a ~$500 dollar bill. i nearly lost the truck over it, as i didn't have the money. from that day on...i fix my own stuff....i'm not a mechanic, i just play one on TV :lmao2: glad to have you here kerley. i bet your 98.5 is VERY similar to my 99 i'm on this site a lot(until i leave to hunt) so if you have any questions, fell free to drop me a line
  • Like 1

If you didn't sign a work approval or work order or if they did not contact you about what was wrong and what was needed and the cost before repairing it, you have a case against them.

young and naive...they push a lot of people around. maybe the mechanic would get a title for my vehicle way before i had my day in court? i know there are good shops/mechanics out there. my grandfather was an awesome mechanic(finding and fix problems even dealers could not) until he retired. i have also learned that you get what you pay for some times...:2cents:

Welcome.Sorry to here about what happened.Rebuilt vp's are 1000.00 or more.2 to 4.5 hrs to install.Not to sure on the factory lift pump.That bill isnt real high.It may have come as a shock to you and that i understand.If it was me i would ask for more info on the vp44 and the warranty on it. The good news is you came to one of the best places for info on the net.Do you like to get your hands dirty?You diddnt say your age.Some just dont like to work on trucks.Some just cant because of health reasons.Reguardless this site can help you figure problems out and give you a guess on repair costs,so if you dont or cant work on your diesel this site still can help you out. Welcome.

Welcome.Sorry to here about what happened.Rebuilt vp's are 1000.00 or more.2 to 4.5 hrs to install.Not to sure on the factory lift pump.That bill isnt real high.It may have come as a shock to you and that i understand.If it was me i would ask for more info on the vp44 and the warranty on it. The good news is you came to one of the best places for info on the net. Do you like to get your hands dirty?You diddnt say your age.Some just dont like to work on trucks.Some just cant because of health reasons.Reguardless this site can help you figure problems out and give you a guess on repair costs,so if you dont or cant work on your diesel this site still can help you out. Welcome.

Thank you. I will be 65 nov 21~Kerley

Hidden

Here's a bit of advice that will save you thousands of dollars next time your lift pump dies.

Get a fuel pressure gauge, and when your fuel pressure starts to drop, shut off your truck before you kill the injector pump. Your VP pump is fuel lubricated, and if you drive the truck with a bad lift pump, it'll kill the VP pump in short order.

With the VP injector pump, it's also a good idea to run a little 2 stroke or biodiesel with your fuel to help lube the pump