Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quality Sealed Grommet Source?

LorenS

Anyone have a source (or even manufacturer) for decent quality sealed grommets?  There is a plethora of unknown-quality units on Amazon, but I'd prefer something I know is of near-OEM quality.  I didn't see anything on Gardner-Denver's website, at Waytek Wire, or NAPA. McMaster-Carr has some at below link, style B, but freight from these guys (and no assortment pack available for future projects) makes me want to find another source.

https://www.mcmaster.com/grommets/wet-location-snap-in-sealing-grommets/

Application is that I'm adding a backup camera license plate frame to my '05 Passat, and the license plate is mounted to the trunk lid.  I need to pass a fairly large connector (RCA cable) out of sheet metal where it exits the trunk lid to the license plate.  The 18 gauge wire would be swimming in a 1/2" hole if I used a 'standard' grommet.  Maybe it'll just get a dose of silicone.

Hey Loren,

https://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/fp/tcat/92727/SFV/30046

I use this type of pass-through seal assembly. The hole you create by size can be fitted with this style of water resistant seal. The cap when tightened will force the spongy-foam doughnut (sealing material) to comply with the diameter of your wire and provide an excellent seal. The body of this device arrives with a pliable rubber gasket that seals against the flat surface of your selected mount location.  I noted this company is out of stock on all the sizes and only offer a 1 inch size however; these type of pass-through seal devices are available from many sources. I have successfully used these without any moisture or water incursion for years, and if you need to remove the wire or check something, just loosen the cap and slide your lead in or out of position. On my last purchase they were inexpensive, about $1.89 for 1/2 inch.

• Thanks 1

• Staff

Instead of drilling a new hole in the lid how about running the wire through a modified license plate light housing.  Take the assembly out remove and modify the blub holder and cover to allow the wire to pass through then refit the parts.  Something like below.

1TD827574A-For-VW-Golf-Plus-Jetta-Passat-B6-Touran-Rear-Trunk-Lid-Tailgate-Shake-Handle-Bar.jpg_Q90.jpg_.jpg.4b9c2d0c0c998502f68d047a0ebb10d1.jpg

• Like 1