• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thanks to the forum!

Just wanted to express appreciation for communities like this. I haven’t posted/interacted much but I’ve been reading and applying what I’ve read. I’m too green to really chime in other than questions, anyway. 

I picked up a truck a couple months ago with the intention of building it into a tow rig. It’s not a full time commercial rig but I work remote and the wife and I want to be on the road a lot, so getting the truck ready was a priority. 

Doing WT’s ground wire mod fixed the annoying TC cycling issue and the vp44/injectors sound happier with a lift pump. Reading here has me settled on a Quadzilla and likely 100hp injectors (rather than 50’s and wanting to upgrade soon anyway). Trying to decide if I should wait to do injectors until I do a turbo (for towing) or if it’s worth doing now and adding turbo later.

I’m learning a lot by going through the articles on here. 

Anyway, it’s a slow n’ rainy Sunday here and just wanted to say thanks. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, as you review many articles I'm sure you'll find additional information to be quite informative. Don't be hesitant to ask additional questions, you'll find the participants on this site to be highly considerate. Older subject matter is welcomed for reiteration and reevaluation...your participation is appreciated.

Cheers,

W-T   

• Thanks 2

• Owner

Welcome to the site. Sorry for the lag I've been super busy these days. Just to give you an idea about my setup. 

• +150 HP DAP Injectors (7 x 0.010) popped at 320 bar.
  • Stock HX35W Turbo
  • NV4500 Transmission with Valair Dual Disc Clutch
  • 4 inch Exhaust straight Piped
  • Quadzilla Tuner

I've high marked at 28 MPG easily and cross the entire state of Washington from Seattle to the Idaho Border near Lewiston, ID for just bit more than 1/4 tank of fuel for 299.5 miles. 

So if you wanna play the MPG game you got to follow me I'm a pro at squeezing every last bit of MPGs out of a engine. 

20220611_161830.jpg20220611_161834.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! You can definitely learn a lot here and have a setup you're really happy with.  You could do injectors before turbo if you can live by your gauges and have mild tunes on your Quadzilla.  DAP injectors are pretty common, would also recommend Infinite Performance (Weston) if you are shopping.  Have fun!

• Owner

With my setup the stock turbo is better than the HX35/40 Hybrid I ran previously. Turbo upgrades are typically done too soon. Then other problem is the most people run oversize tires and wheels and destroy the final ratio. Like myself after tires my final ratio is 3.69:1 being I've got 3.55 gears in front and rear and then running 245/75 R16 tires which are 30 inch tires and it produces that final ratio of 3.69:1 making torque production way better, better MPG's, cooler EGT's being I can run as low as 500*F at 65 MPH. Even towing I rare to pass 1,100*F even climbing to 7,000 plus elevation, in Bridgeport, CA. no problems.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

With my setup the stock turbo is better than the HX35/40 Hybrid I ran previously. Turbo upgrades are typically done too soon.

I’ll look at the quad + injectors first. I read the quad setup articles and see you can essentially detune the truck with larger injectors but can’t over-tune an injectors max output. Makes sense. I’m looking to make a fun daily/tow vehicle that can get great mpg if I show some restraint.  I’d prefer fun/dependable/bulletproof truck over a hour/torque monster but like to have power in tap when needed. 

I’m sitting on 265/75/16 and not really looking to go bigger. Has the auto trans and I’m pretty sure it’s stock gearing. 

3 hours ago, VMac822 said:

Welcome! You can definitely learn a lot here and have a setup you're really happy with.  You could do injectors before turbo if you can live by your gauges and have mild tunes on your Quadzilla.  DAP injectors are pretty common, would also recommend Infinite Performance (Weston) if you are shopping.  Have fun!

Thanks!

Just curious, what’s the risk of running larger injectors and the need to watch gauges? Potential EGT issues? I’m familiar with lean/rich fuel dynamics on gas engines and the impact on heat but I’m sure it’s different for diesels. 

• Owner
16 hours ago, DrJekyll86 said:

Just curious, what’s the risk of running larger injectors and the need to watch gauges? Potential EGT issues?

With +150 HP Injectors (popped at 320 bar) and Stock HX35W turbo I don't even watch the EGT's. Again the biggest thing that will affect EGT's is the final ratio, overly big turbos, and over advanced timing (Boxes like Edge Juice) which don't have any ability to adjust timing but only stack more timing on the existing stock ECM tune which is not correct for larger injectors. Even with what I'm running I've got a pretty good amount of retard to spool the turbo, which keep the smoke at bay. Then once spooled the timing is advanced. 

If your final ratio is too low (less than 3.55) then the truck will produce high EGT's and poor MPG's. Excessively low cruising RPM are not good they will keep the EGT's high. Like myself with the my setup...

Watch the elevation, I'm running nearly flat and 55 MPH the EGT's are super low.

Out on the flats of New Meadows, ID

• Like 1