• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power steering whine/hum after new gearbox install (did I screw up my PS Pump?)

Hey thanks for your help, I finally got the bluetop gearbox installed and wow! what a difference. This truck drives so well now. Loving it.

Minor issue though - I'm now getting a hum/whine and some steering wheel feedback and low speed turns with rpm ~1000-1300.

> my suspicion:

When bleeding the PS fluid BEFORE the gearbox install, I let the fluid run low and suspect i hurt my ps pump :(

> steps taken:

i bled system before installing the gearbox. followed the guide here for the 3rd gen to flush.

installed gearbox and followed bluetop's guide after connecting lines to gearbox - lifted tires off ground, disabled fass and cranked motor a few times for 10second intervals. then turned steering wheels loc-to-loc many times (30?), refilling when low, and waiting for foam to disappear.

then started truck, turned loc-to-loc another 20-30 times, added more ps fluid when low. after no foam, clear good looking fluid, went for drive. in parking lot at low rpm (1000-1300) and turns the PS pump started humming/whining.

> random thoughts/info
brakes work but make a faint ps pump hum when fully pressed.
have over sized tires > 33s
fluid in the bluetop gearbox may have been atf. i didnt flush it... it looked kinda red compared to my clear PS fluid in the resivour.  would mixed fluid cause issues?

tomorrow I'll try jacking it up, reving motor and turning loc-to-lock to try and bleed air.

I suspect it's my PS Pump and have been debating replacing it, the lines, and the vacuum seals.... Would now be the time to do it?

> tl;dr

i replaced the steering gearbox and now my ps pump whines/hums. I suspect it's either air in the system (somehow...) or when I flushed the PS fluid i let it get to low and toasted my ps pump

Edited by jaredwins
title change

23 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically air in the system. Air will foam up the fluid and make it whine.

thanks brother that was the trouble. jacked the truck up and with it off, turned the wheels lock-to-lock 30 times. Made sure fluid was full and now it's running quiet and driving fantastic! Loving the new bluetop steering box.

• Like 1