• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Erratic Tach or No Tach

• Owner

I want to post up about the tachometer issues on these trucks. Thor my 2006 truck had an issue with the tachometer being wildly erratic tach either dropping super low or showing way high ready vs live data tool. This is due to the lead-free solder used on the circuit board on the back of the cluster. I know I got to get some photos of the cluster removal which is super easy and doesn't take very long. Once you get the dash trim pulled there are 4 screws holding the cluster in place. I will admit reaching the plugs on the back side are rather challenging but not impossible. Once unplugged the cluster can be removed from the truck. You'll notice there is a black plastic cover over the printed circuit board and lots of screws to remove. Once you do remove the rear cover you'll have access to the printed circuit board. I know you will not be able to see any real broken connections but the smaller like 18-legged chips are the ones you are going to heat and reflow the solder on. Make sure to have a good clean fine tipped soldering iron. Carefully you are going to heat each leg up one by one. When you finish doing one chip make sure to take your cellphone fire up the camera and place it on 3x zoom. This will allow you to double-check that you did NOT bridge any of the pins together and any chip legs. Once you are sure that there are no bridge soldered legs and all the chips are done... Double-check one more time with the camera and look super close at all of them. If there is a short it could fry your cluster and turn it into junk.

So let me gear up and get photos done here so I can show how this all works.

Here you go gang...

Elite Article

Free Article

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1