• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1992 Dodge Cummins Voltage Regulator

• Owner

Yeah, I know this is the same vehicle as the clutch switch but I wanted to split these two topics up for explanation reasons. Now I will tell you that if you have a problem keeping the voltage regulator and they just don't last very long like in the case of this truck the first regulator failed just about instantly. The second voltage regulator failed after about 5 minutes and fail with overcharging. Now my client admits he bought an Amazon Alternator. I was smart and had the alternator test before installing the regulators in the first place. I ohm test all the electrical with a DVM. All good. The problem is that even though the alternator passed the test the only thing I can see is the field winding has a ohm measurement of 60 ohms. I think this is a bit too low causing the field to draw more power than normal being the regulator circuit can't handle said load it fries out and shorts the green wire to the ground which in turn now produces high charge voltage. Being the blue wire is keyed hot +12V power passing to the alternator the only control is the ground. 

So I'm at the point of replacing both the alternator and the voltage regulator again. I'm supposed to have the alternator in today at the local Chevron Station. Let's see what happens with a new alternator. 

• Owner

Ok so we got a new alternator and voltage regulator. Now the fan belt is too loose. I've got to get a new belt. Still all this the alternator is still over charging. The only thing I can think of is the green wire has a ground issue and going to replace the green wire. The blue wire has good  +12V as for the green if it getting ground somewhere the alternator to run wild. Gotta figure this all out.