• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel Level Sender Resistance

I'm trying to find out what the resistance range is for the fuel level sender in my 98.5. It works okay, but I seriously dislike the typical alinearity.  Amazingly it is the original, just under 298,000 miles, but it is dangerously low on fuel by the time it reads 1/8 tank.  You will be walking before it hits E.   I want to switch over to a capacitive fuel level sensor for greater accuracy and no moving parts.

I searched this forum and online and one source says 3.8 ohm full, 103.8 empty, but not sure I trust that.  I found for a 2001 it is 20 ohms full, 220 empty.  I know there are differences in fuel modules & fuel level senders at least between older and newer 2nd Gens, I think mainly between 12V and 24V, but I'm not sure.  My truck is an early 98.5, manufactured February 11 (engine built January 27).  Some capacitive senders are spec'd in volts, generally 5V range, but it looks like Dodge used 12V as signal supply.

I have to drop the tank to fix a major fuel leak that happens when I top off my tank.  So I would like to figure out what to order and have it ready to install at that time.

http://www.centroidproducts.com/

https://www.reventec.com/product/ls200-liquid-level-sensor/

Thank you Michael.  In the end I may try to crawl under there and take a voltage reading when it's empty next and after a fillup, should be able to get me close to what I need to know. I'm going to call Centroid as well since they've done a few 2nd Gen applications.