• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dodge 2500 OEM Hitch Receiver Failure

@Max Tune, I don't know any source of information regarding the strength of the truck frame where the hitch receiver mounts.  I tried to get that information from Etrailer.com, but I just got a canned response.  Personally, I think the frame is far stronger than the hitch receiver.  I saw no signs of stress whatsoever on the frame after removing the OEM hitch receiver and inspecting the frame.  The new Curt hitch receiver is six inches longer consequently using more of frame's strength.  I seriously doubt that I will ever have any hitch issues again.

However, I will perform better inspections in the future.

- John

• Like 1

I replaced my oem hitch with the same Curt class V you used. I had no reason to do it as I mainly tow heavy with my gooseneck. But, I got a good deal on the Curt and went for it. My gosh, a one hour job turned into a 9 hour fiasco. All of the tabs on the top of the bolts broke off when I was loosening them. I’d prepped all the bolts and nuts with penetrating oil for days. Ending up having to anchor the top bolts with a socket and breaker bar and then used a torch and 1” impact gun and just twist them all til they broke. The Curt unit is definitely heavier and seems well built. 

8 hours ago, Andyba20 said:

My gosh, a one hour job turned into a 9 hour fiasco. All of the tabs on the top of the bolts broke off when I was loosening them

I guess that relates to the geographical differences of where our trucks have been.  I didn't have to deal with any rust - no broken tabs, the bolts just came right out. 

Just curious, did you see any evidence of separation at the rear of the OEM hitch receiver (like in the above photo)?  I realize you didn't use it much, so it was probably okay.

- John