• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Home made ECM ? wiring diagram errors.

I'm working on a home made ECM for my truck to go along with my VP44 project. I almost found an ECM today on a burned up truck

but the wiring was burned all the way to the ECM so i figured it was toast. The guy wouldn't sell it, I would have to buy the motor and he said the VP44 was bad with hot start issues.  He had a V10 (blown) dually that he was going to put the cummins in. He wanted me to buy both. If he had a manual tranny in the deal I would have took it. But I skipped it. 

The usual diagram that many of us use has some errors in the pin names and functions.  From all my VP research I know many of the details

of these pin functions and thought I would share them.

Pin 33 Knock sensor is wrong. Instead it is a strange bi-directional signal. its pulled down internally in the VP pin 5.

When left alone it is a current mirror of the injection solenoid current, looks like its chopped or ADC sampled.

When pulled up to 12 volts by the ECM it shuts off the vp. Some kind of safety function and it can monitor the solenoid current blip.  It's called MAB (German). The injection 'Knock' does happen shortly after the blip. I believe the 

injection line delay and combustion delay is sent to the pump in a CAN message for fine tuning the timing calculation. However there is no Knock sensor.

Pin 45 is output by the ECM to PCM it turns on ALT, AC, TRANS. It is a 5volt square wave at 2X the RPM. 33 Hz at1000 RPM, 16,6 Hz. It is not sysnced but free runs, but on my VP project it is synced to the crank sensor.

Pin 18 is the engine position reference signal. DZG(German) it is the timing ref for the VP so it can calculate its cam donut position relative to the engine crank position. It is a 12V square wave. The trailing edge of the signal always occurs every time a piston is at 10 degrees after top dead center. It is decoded from the CKP and or CMP sensors.

Pin 34 is an idle valid signal from the ECM to VP. It is 12V at idle and 0V when pressed. it is  pulled up to 12V in the VP on pin 4.

The APPS has 2 idle outputs that are open collector that are always in opposite states.  VP pin 2 is 12v =idle,  0V = pressed. APPS pin 6 is inverted.

The ECM monitors the idle signals and pot and if its happy. the ECM pin 34 changes state it is sensed at VP pin 4 LGS (German)

the VP then changes a byte in the CAN message going to the ECM as a cross check  then The ECM increases the fuel command byte.  If the pump is Hot wired, grounding pin 4 makes the engine run at a higher RPM.

CAN message from VP :  22 40 8 04 00 85 23 xx  yy 79 13.

The Byte in red  is:

0C HEX = not running

04 HEX = idle valid state (as detected via ECM pin 34 to VP pin 4)

00 HEX = above idle operation      "" 

yy HEX is the pump RPM MSB

xx HEX is the pump RPM LSB

79 13 is the fuel temp in Kelvin encoded ?

Edited by Great work!
clarity