• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine stalls after 4 GSK insall???

Hey Gang, Well I helped my friend install his 4 GSK in his '98 12v automatic 4x4 truck today and ran into a little hiccup....:( All went well up until we started the truck up and it had jumped from idling at 650rpms to 1000rpms so we adjusted the idle adjustment back down to about 850 RPMs.But the real problem is whenever he puts the truck into gear (auto) it dies.... It does it in both drive and reverse. It drives fine down the road, really moves!!!!:drool:We measured the studs you're supposed to measure on the truck and the starting measurement was about .015 and the nuts were relatively loose. We installed them at .040-.050 like the paperwork said. They are about at .045 and the other at .048, give or take a little.Now we also kept reading about some shims... the truck did not have these shims in it that we saw and the factory sealing paint was over the retainers as well and hadn't been broken either....:shrug:I suppose the real question is do we need to tighten the retainers up? Or do I need to loosen them up? Or something else???:shrug: This is his only truck and it is a real pain for him as it dies at every stoplight and sign!!!! Any help would be awesome!!:pray:Thanks,Winslow

I've never messed with the governor springs yet but I dug around and supposedly loosening them up will solve the problem. Can't hurt anyways. I will keep digging.More info:If you get it right, your idle should be a slight bit higher after the GSK install. If your idle is lower you probably set it a click or two loose, if your idle goes way up you have it set too tight.

• Like 1

I've never messed with the governor springs yet but I dug around and supposedly loosening them up will solve the problem. Can't hurt anyways. I will keep digging. More info: If you get it right, your idle should be a slight bit higher after the GSK install. If your idle is lower you probably set it a click or two loose, if your idle goes way up you have it set too tight.

Awesome, that was what I was kinda thinking. By the time we got done it was dark outside so we didn't have a chance to give that a try. I'll let him know!:thumbup2:

• Owner

I know on the VE pumps there is 2 spring that controls governor speeds...

1. The main spring that everyone upgrades to 366 (3,200 RPM).

2. Then the tophat spring which controls idle.

Now as the pump is idling the governor arm leans against the tophat spring. As the engine starts to slow down the tophat spring pushs the throttle up more keeping the engine going. But this is VE pump information but it might give a clue to what you missed on you spring setup...

VE pump...

Posted Image

Yeah I relize the pump design is different but the principal should be the same... ( I think...)

That's probably true. My friend got a hold of someone else that told him to loosen the springs and set the idle screw back to where it was before I messed with it. Going to try to do that tonight if we have time. I'll let everyone know what happens!:thumbup2: