• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

BD Steering Box Stabilizer

dorkweed

This item is the real deal!!! :thumbsup With all the front end work I had done, along with the new tires, and then the new shocks.......my truck drove real, real good!!!! However, with the BD Steering Box Stabilizer it drives a whole lot better. Almost sports car like in response!!!! This should be an OEM item IMHO!!! :smart :smart

Mike, my truck tracks so straight now. All those little dips and whoops in the roads, no longer affect how the trucks tracks. Bump steer is darn near gone. Essentially what this does is support the pitman arm shaft with a bearing that is attached to a bracket that is bolted to BOTH frame members. Vague steering in our trucks is often due to frame flexing because the steering box is only attached to one frame member and the pitman arm shaft has no support. This bad boy fixes that!! :thumbsup

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For my 3rd gen it was about $225.00 delivered from Geno's garage. You may want to check out the rest of your front end before putting this on though. Make sure all you parts are sound. If not, and you put this on, you may well be covering up a problem.

The wandering is usually helped with a little more caster setting, if you run 2lane most of the time set a little more ( 1/9 to 1/4 deg )to one side. IIRC the drivers side. Set up right with at least 3/4ths of the sidewall air pressure in the tires and the toin set to the min spec - 0 Deg I think I usually use 1/64th to make sure that it does not go toe out from road dynamics.Caster will not normally show up as a wear problem, it will be a complaint that the wheel does not want to return to straight ahead or it wants to drift to one side, if it pulls different problem, but a general driftyness in the foward mode is a sign to check the caster with care.Toe-in - they will go nicely down the road with an inch of tow-in, ( lots of tire and other wear and a lot of fuel to cut the rubber off the tires but good mannors ) but toe-out on the toe-in measurement will usually make a ditchfinder that will unpredictablly dartCamber incorrect setting will make the tire wear as a cone, smooth but tapered across the tread, toe-in will do the same but the edge of the tread will be sharp on one side.Toe-out measurement checks the steering arm angle, the arms should converge at the wheel base if extended with a line. A pair of lines, hooked on the grease zerks of the ball joints and the steering arms should be measure the same on both sides, bent spindle or steering arm will have a different measurement between the two lines. The last check on the rack where it is measured with degree turntablesIf the wheels are wanting to go straight the pitman arm brace won't make a difference in steering BUT it will relieve the strains on the steering box mounts from 4wheeling.I give it a thumbs up for preventing frame cracks at the steering box mounting.keydl