• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Antifreeze in the fuel tank

99 Dodge 24 valve. Had the lift pump changed to teh tank about 5 years ago. Threw a Injection pump code and intermittant flat pedal and put in a new injection pump just before Christmas...HoHoHo. The code returned along with the flat pedal and the shop says my fuel is antifreeze green and my level is down in the radiator. Apparently the fuel return goes throguh the head and there it is picking up antifreeze? I have had this truck 7 years, bought it used. I am meticulous about watching the temp, and have never over heated it, and do not over rev it. Now I apparently need a new head? Only 125,000 miles. Ever hear of such a thing? Any options out there? Color me frustrated/disappointed, and broke. :)

• Owner

Cracked head most likely... Way to check is to disconnect the return line at the rear of the engine (quick connect) and then pressurize the coolant system with 15-18 PSI using a cooling pressure kit. The crack would be from the coolant jacket to the fuel return rail that runs out the back of the head.

• Like 1

Get a sample of the fuel from the tank or the fuel filter canister and see if it seperates. You should be able to see a difference as fuel will float on the water in a clear container. Some fuel does have a green tint to it. I say this so you do not go after a ghost and stick money into something you do not need. Is there a stain on the front passenger side of the block under head behind alternator? as this is where head gaskets can leak externally.

• Like 1