• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

It's using a quart about every 40 miles right now. The whole underside of the truck is oiled and when I'm stopped I can see dripping around the inspection cover. I'm thinking pump seal. Is there something more common that I'm overlooking? The other kicker is that I can't fix it til I get home, and that won't be for like 12 days. I'm also going to be towing my 34' 13,000 pound 5th wheel home... Another question: at the rate it's burning through fluid, can I just dump cheaper DexIII/Merc in there? I'm going to be putting in a new converter when I get back, and doing a full fluid change.

As for me I would'nt be towing anything with a leak like that.:2cents:

Well, unfortunately, I don't really have much of a choice. Leaving the camper in a campground at $30 a night while I drive home (1 day,) order the converter and wait (a week,) get buddies to make time to come over and help pull trans (however many days til a Saturday,) and get back up to retrieve the camper (1 day) is not an option. Stopping at every rest area and dumping in a quart or two of $3/qt transmission fluid, on the other hand, is.

Yeah, I've thought about that. I've been driving with the radio off so I can hear any odd noises and so far, I haven't heard anything. The reimbursement check for this job (500 miles from home!) can't come soon enough, I tell ya!

Actually it's $3.77, and it's well over a dollar a quart more than Dex3, which is currently $2.47 here. Also, finding enough +4 is always a problem for me. The last three times I've serviced the transmission, I've had to hit two or three stores to get enough fluid... And on top of that, Dex3 can be bought in gallon jugs, which are easier to deal with and a little cheaper still.