• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

injection pump removal

cg4424

injection pump leaking on my 91 dodge. i am planning on taking it off and resealing it, or having it done. does anyone have any tips for removal and reinstalling the pump. any info would be helpful thanks

ok heres the story on the truck. early winter truck died just like it ran out of fuel. then weather turned cold and i have no shop so just now starting to work on it. all it would do is crank and not try to fire. someone told me it may be fuel solenoid removed that and still no start, so then maybe lift pump, put on brand new one and it did start and run after bleeding lines. ran for maybe 30-45 min and quit bled injector lines again and it ran for 30-45 min and died then noticed a leak in the injection pump between distrbution head and pump(small drip) so i tightened that up and started truck today and ran for 1hr or so without a prob so maybe i have it fixed not sure? i will know more tommorrow hope i dont have to remove pump! any thoughts? thanks for the help i appreciate it.

you'll have to explain the over flow valve to me 1st i have heard of it.

It is basically a fancy banjo bolt with a spring and ball in it. The ball is seated until enough pressure is built then it pops open and the excess fuel/pressure goes back to the fuel tank. That is how the pressure in the fuel system is regulated, by opening when there is too much pressure and closing when there is not enough. When they go bad, it is normally due to the spring getting weak, causing premature pop off at low pressures, so you end up having abnormally low fuel pressure. A fuel pressure gauge would tell you what is really going on.

• Owner

It is basically a fancy banjo bolt with a spring and ball in it. The ball is seated until enough pressure is built then it pops open and the excess fuel/pressure goes back to the fuel tank. That is how the pressure in the fuel system is regulated, by opening when there is too much pressure and closing when there is not enough.

When they go bad, it is normally due to the spring getting weak, causing premature pop off at low pressures, so you end up having abnormally low fuel pressure.

A fuel pressure gauge would tell you what is really going on.

As much as the older 12V's don't require a fuel pressure gauge but its extremely nice to have at least a test gauge for fuel system testing/daignostics.

thanks for the info it is greatly appreciated. here is what happened this morn. started fine let it set and idle for approx 2 hrs. then started up the road with it and it felt like it wasnt getting enough fuel i could hold accelertor to the floor and would only be running about 25 mph then pulled off side of road and in park it felt like it would rev up more then started missin a bit with white smoke i gave it more throttle then a bunch of white smoke and died bled injector lines and started back fine drove it home with no prob but injector pump is still leaking could this be my prob? could it be the air filter it seemed fairly dirty? thanks for the help.

It is basically a fancy banjo bolt with a spring and ball in it. The ball is seated until enough pressure is built then it pops open and the excess fuel/pressure goes back to the fuel tank. That is how the pressure in the fuel system is regulated, by opening when there is too much pressure and closing when there is not enough.

When they go bad, it is normally due to the spring getting weak, causing premature pop off at low pressures, so you end up having abnormally low fuel pressure.

A fuel pressure gauge would tell you what is really going on.[/quote

where is it located? can i attatch a fuel pressure guage to the system? if so where?