• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey guys,Well yesterday my NV4500 decided to lose 3rd/4th gear. Now I'm trying to decide on what to do.... I've seen that ATS and Haisley Machine both sell a NV4500 and I know I can buy the parts to fix mine. But my problem is I'm trying to decide what the best bang for the buck would be.... Would I be better off with a NV5600 or stick with the NV4500? The FSO-6404a swap is pretty cool but I'm not sure about trying to source all the parts right now. Any opinions on the ATS or Haisley trans or any other places and parts outlets?:shrug:I know I make well over what the NV4500 is rated for and I'd like not to have breakage down the road even though I don't generally drive that hard. Just seems to be a lot of controversy over which transmission is best/ worth putting money into....:spend::shrug:Thanks,Winslow

Stick with what you have and fix it. You will have more problems with the 5600 than you will with the 4500.:smart: How you do it is your call but stick with the 4500.:thumb1:

That's mostly what I was curious about. I've heard it so many different ways, guys swapping one for the other and all. I've heard some guys say the 4500 can be built stronger than the 5600 with the right parts?:shrug:

Cool thanks for the second link. I've been checking out Quad for a while and even bought a download repair manual from them. The other place I haven't seen!:thumb1:Wonder if the Torque King shaft is any better than the fully splined shaft the other place carries or even like what Haisley uses?:shrug:

My guess is that They would be the same. They are both big competitors in the pulling scene and both carry tough parts to handle the abuse of it.

That's true, you'd think they would want to build high quality transmissions for doing what they do. The other option would be to rebuild it myself, just worried I might need a press or other speciality tools. I don't remember needing anything special back when I worked at the last shop when I helped rebuild them. But we had a press there and I don't...:duh:

The Quad4x4 shaft is the only way I'd go.

That said, I wanted smaller gear splits than the 4500 offers. FSO/RTO (or RTOO) is the way to go. :hyper: As long as you're into something a little more than a bolt-on as fas as the clutch, shifter, air supply, floor, etc....

--- Update to the previous post...

Wonder if the Torque King shaft is any better than the fully splined shaft the other place carries or even like what Haisley uses?:shrug:

Granted they're selling their own stuff, but they've sold me. This is the one and only true fix as far as I'm concerned. I'm "picking up what they're putting down" if you will. Perhaps "buying what they're selling" - though I didn't...

http://quad4x4.com/NV4500%205th%20Gear%20Failures%20and%20Solutions.htm

The Quad4x4 shaft is the only way I'd go.

That said, I wanted smaller gear splits than the 4500 offers. FSO/RTO (or RTOO) is the way to go. :hyper: As long as you're into something a little more than a bolt-on as fas as the clutch, shifter, air supply, floor, etc....

--- Update to the previous post...

Granted they're selling their own stuff, but they've sold me. This is the one and only true fix as far as I'm concerned. I'm "picking up what they're putting down" if you will. Perhaps "buying what they're selling" - though I didn't...

http://quad4x4.com/NV4500%205th%20Gear%20Failures%20and%20Solutions.htm

Yeah right now the FSO swap is a little too much. It's a tough choice b/c of cost between Quad4x4 and the other places. Quad does make a good case with their shaft and with their USA parts and genuine NV parts. But they are also about twice (if not 3x) the price of the other places I've seen like Standard Transmissions or the place mentioned above. Just not sure if it would be worth the extra expense or not, or if I can even afford the most expensive ways...:(

twisting input probably from giving myself too much clutch for the trans (twin disc south bend on a stock 1-1/4 shaft instead of 1-3/8 upgrade), 5th was a plain old bad part. I never lugged it, just started making awful noises and I found 2+ teeth missing when I pulled it apart. High Gear gave me a little bit of a deal on the replacement gear ($100 shipped I think?) well outside the warranty period (90 days) so I wouldn't say stay away from them, I'll just stick with staying away from the little transmissions.If it's just a driver and you aren't grossing 20k+ all the time though I'm sure it'll be fine. And clearly plenty of others are fine too. I'll just preach my sermon from Mount Eaton and enjoy the gear split unsyrchronized glory :lmao2:

twisting input probably from giving myself too much clutch for the trans (twin disc south bend on a stock 1-1/4 shaft instead of 1-3/8 upgrade), 5th was a plain old bad part. I never lugged it, just started making awful noises and I found 2+ teeth missing when I pulled it apart. High Gear gave me a little bit of a deal on the replacement gear ($100 shipped I think?) well outside the warranty period (90 days) so I wouldn't say stay away from them, I'll just stick with staying away from the little transmissions. If it's just a driver and you aren't grossing 20k+ all the time though I'm sure it'll be fine. And clearly plenty of others are fine too. I'll just preach my sermon from Mount Eaton and enjoy the gear split unsyrchronized glory :lmao2:

Yeah but only 18k.... I think I'll stay away from them!!:thumb1: Well my truck, that would be twice the tranny I need. If it was a dually I might think about it but I'm sure it isn't as fast as the 5 speed either. I don't sled pull or race (not too often) but I don't want it breaking either!:pray:

id say rebuild the 4500 as a stop gap. the FSO is a friggin tank and definitely worth a look. its one of many upgrades on my list down the road.

Yeah that's what I'm gearing up to do is rebuild it. I cleaned the garage up yesterday so I have some room in there. Now I've got to get it pulled out, which is going to be fun in the driveway or yard!:duh:

Yeah that's what I'm gearing up to do is rebuild it. I cleaned the garage up yesterday so I have some room in there. Now I've got to get it pulled out, which is going to be fun in the driveway or yard!:duh:

i would say i know the feeling but the largest tranny I have pulled only weighed around 100 lbs out of a nissan pickup.

i would say i know the feeling but the largest tranny I have pulled only weighed around 100 lbs out of a nissan pickup.

The NV4500 isn't too bad but it's a pain on the yard/driveway. I think I might buy a piece of plywood so the jack will roll around on the ground easier. Now if it was a 5600 I would be a little more nervous... those things are beast!:stuned:

Well guys I got the tranny dropped and apart yesterday. I found the problem:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Broken mainshaft!!!:mad:

So now I'm trying to decide which route I want/can go. I'd love to buy a Torque King but I think that is going to cost too much for me right now. So I'm looking at some other cheaper options, just worried about the quality of import parts...:ahhh: