• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Acquired 05 and the Headaches also

DEH

I just received an 05 2500 and it has some strange issues, where to start.:banghead:If you step on the throttle in neutral it acts like a sticky cable but we know there is no cable.Throwing codes P0572, P0628, P2509, and P0533. A/C works intermittently, cruise light comes on but speed will not set, seems to smoke a little more than the other one I have.Thanks for any ideas,Dale

I just spent a boat-load of money getting my truck running again. The Diesel shop found wiring faults in the battery connections... not just the lead battery to cable but also the cable to lug connectors at the batteries and the insulated disconnects about 6" into the leads. I can't be sure about your year truck but mine the lift pump ground is wired to the passenger's side battery & the power off the driver's side so it the cross over wiring is not perfect, it can cause low voltage. While you have the batteries disconnected, clean the leads on the alternator, any grounds you can see. There is a power down relay on the driver's side in the fuse box by the battery. I wiggled mine around & it started working again. I ended up just pulling the fuses & relays one by one to wipe the corrosion off them. This costs just a little time & IMHO, is a good place to start. Do the simple stuff first.Hope this helps,Russ

• Like 2

First Thank You Michael for having this forum, it has been a wonderful wealth of info.:thumb1: Russ I like how you think, I have cleaned connections, fuses, grounds. Ok DW more info it is a box stock truck, owned by a construction co. in AZ, the company I work for bought them and as equipment manager I inherited this truck and its twin into my fleet. The company I work for runs many F550 Super Duty Fords, I myself have been a loyal Mopar person for many decades, the fords are not my choice and I have the President of the company convinced to buy a Dodge for the next one needed. Part of the reason he is swaying is the cost of repairing the fords (our fleet is aging and with the current economy, it will not be growing much in the foreseeable future) so I am trying to keep costs down on this repair as to not cause him to sway back. Thanks again for everything, Dale

Those are some "odd" codes. Meaning that I've never seen them posted in a forum before!!! I dunno Dude. Do you have an "independent" mechanic that could give it the "once over"/"check it out" treatment??!!!In all honesty, I've never seen those codes posted before. Guys, do y'all think it could be a wiring thing, or a plug thing etc. Do all these codes revolve around the same circuit on the truck????? Hail call to Mike!!!!!!!! Check out last sentence in above paragraph.:smart::cool:

I can't find ANY of these codes listed in the 24 valve error codes?? Often there is detailed information. I was going to look for overlap.

edit

I Googled each code & this is what I got:

P0572

When the brake pedal is depressed, the stop light switch sends a signal to the ECM. When the ECM receives this signal, it cancels the cruise control.

A fail safe function is provided so that the functions normally, even if there is a malfunction in the stop light signal circuit.

The cancel condition occurs as battery positive voltage is supplied to terminal STP.

When the brake is on, battery positive voltage is normally applied through the STOP fuse and the stop light switch to terminal STP of the ECM, and the ECM turns the cruise control OFF. If the harness connected to terminal STP has an open circuit, terminal STP will have battery positive voltage and the cruise control will be turned OFF.

P0628

Lift pump or On the back of your cp3 pump there is a fuel pressure control solenoid/ possible problem?

P02509

could be caused by weak batteries or loose cable connections. I would check all battery cables. Could also be caused if + cable is shorted to ground....

the 2509 code is set when one or both batteries are weak or dead. this would be the first place I would look. Batteries & cross overs must be perfect.

P2509 has a TSB 18-001-07 which is a flash and P2609 you may have an open battery wire or short, P2609 no voltage drop seen from intake air heaters.

(one report: bad grid heater ground)

(another report: replace everything: the dealer had the truck for a month they ended up replacing the ECM after 2 new batteries twice, new wiring harness, grid heater, battery temp sensors, and some other crap. The truck has been great since.

P0533 A/C Pressure Sensor High.

It could be low on refrigerant, or it could be a bad sensor. Back-probe the pressure sensor connector (on the discharge line, near the compressor - it's a 4-way connector) on the dark blue wire with the engine running and the A/C turned to max. If you get no volts, or 5 volts, the sensor is bad. 4.5 volts indicates a properly-operating system, while less than 4.5 indicates low pressure, and anything above indicates high pressure. If low or high pressure is suspected, verify with a set of refrigerant gauges.

If warranted, the sensor can just unscrew. You won't lose refrigerant - there's a valve built in to the line to prevent that. Make sure to use a new O-ring and lube it with the proper oil if you do change the sensor

Well guys where to start like I said truck is from AZ corrosion not much of a problem. People making things “WORK” big problem:cookoo:. In the search for bad connections in the fuses/relays found a wire stuck into the ground spade of the fuel pump relay it snaked out to one of the ground bolts by the battery. Checked the lug after removing said wire no ground without it, a check of the pins on the bottom side ground is there. Now being I have twins I swapped out the IPM (fuse block) and have been able to get all codes to clear. And now it seems to run worse than before and does not want to complete the monitors needed to pass the wonderful CA smog requirements to be registered here. Just wanted to Thank everyone again and update. Will post more as I know more. Dale

• Owner

After digging through the books and wiring diagrams there in no fuel pump relay in a 2005 Cummins. The lift pump is directly controlled byt the ECM and the FCA is directly controlled by the ECM. As a matter of fact the only 2 relay even listed for a Common rail is the 2 for the grid heaters that's it...

from the service manual downloaded from this site and also shown on 8W-30-3Am I looking at something wrong? Also labeled as such in the lid for the Integrated Power Module.