• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

considering a used Dakota 4X4 as a daily driver

Guess that about says it. 150K miles, gas V8, automatic. It has a plow which is one attraction. I'd be plowing my own driveway with it & selling off an ATV with plow. Sheila wanted to keep the ATV to pull her garden cart... I told her to hook it to the lawn tractor (mower) like everyone else does!

They can be good trucks. Like many gas Chrysler engines, the 4.7 v8 has excellent ventilation through the block. I have seen this become a problem if the engine is not allowed to get to operating temperature for extended periods. We had ice form from the condensation in the engine that didn't get hot enough to boil out, and the water froze in the bottom of the pan. not trying to hijack, or plug an ad, but below is an interesting dakota I found on craigslist diesel conversion Dakota http://wyoming.craigslist.org/cto/2433329016.html

my wife is on her second dakota. the 1st was a 2000 auto 2X4 4.7 quad cab. it had quite a few mods on it. we put 165k on that one. i would of kept it but the lowered suspension had caused us some heartache and was getting ready to again. it was a good looking truck though and the jet chip that was in it gave it some very good power. i did not realize how much until we bought the new one. chrysler had employee pricing in 06 and we traded on a new one. we have 125k on this one with no problems. i just replaced the spark plugs today. they had a light tannish brown ash on them. the elctrodes were worn though. we got this one with the 4.7 4X4 Quad cab. gas milage was a little better with the first one. milage with the 06 is about 20 highway 12 to 14 around town. that just depends on your right foot. we have gotten good service out of both of them and i would not hesitate buying another.

I test drove it today, just around the lot. It has good tires but they are pretty big without a lift so I have to lift up to get in the truck (a mobility issue). It has "all power" options except seats. Seats are low grade, without the lumbar support adjustment... feels to have a lumbar bump out which I don't like at all. Truck has really nice paint, probably refinished. It was the car lot's plow truck last winter. The kicker is that the truck is stuck in 4WD at the moment despite the position of the transfer case shifter. The sales person pulled it out of the "For Sale" row... put it around back for the mechanic to fix. I may want to drive some other Dakotas to see if there are better ones out there.

i was crawling around under the wife's dakota this weekend doing service work and was amazed to see how tough the chassis is. Looks to be as good as our bigger trucks. The tires on this one are 265 70r which is near the same as i run on the 2500. since i travel alot i have had to let her take it to the shop for service. but due to current circumstances it looks like i will be getting to know this one alot better. good luck on your search.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is a 94' 4X4. Ball joints just replaced last year. It also needs a timing chain and a cv shaft. Not bad for only fluid, filter, and brake changes the rest of its life. Compared to my ram it does great on tires to. Not much power but come winter weather and it goes where full size trucks cant. :thumb1: