• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What suspension parts?

Hi Guys,Need some front end parts. Pass side out tie rod. Decided to go with a Moog because it was called problem solver. Sort of expensive, 70 bucks or so with tax.Now I still need to get both ball joints on the drivers side & a steering stabilizer. Any words of advice? What did you guys use as replacement parts? Is it better than OEM?Thanks,Dave

• Owner

Hmmm... I'm just a lucky one I guess I'm still running stock OEM parts on both front and rear axle with out a problem yet... :confused: Moog is a good brand for tie rod ends... So you did good there... :thumbsup So for the ball joints I would look for Moog's as well for them too. I know its going to be spendy but there good. As for the steering stabilizer I would look toward Rancho's for that shock. So far I'm in love with them for shock... Opps! I did change shocks at 140K miles... Now talk to Dorkweed he's got a steering brace for his 3rd Gen and he's says its day and night difference... 8| viewtopic.php?f=42&t=344

Good post,I've been checking them out, I think in the LCM catalog as well. Thorsen maybe or something close to that name. The price was more than that by 100 bucks or more. Glad to hear that it works as claimed. Let me get my worn out parts fixed. My biggest problem on the ball joint wear was they were not kept greased. On the right lower I have to look where the rubber boot was. I bought a new grease gun from TSC just to keep them full everytime I change oil & rotate tires. The grease is that black stuff that they used to use in the steel mills for all the heavy duty equipment.Dave

True, I do have the BD steering box brace on my 04.5. Don't know if they make one for the 2nd gens though. One other thing to check.......there is a procedure to check/tighten up the gear lash in the steering box itself on the 2nd gens.

• Owner

Yeah Dorkweed your talking about the sector adjustment of og the steering box. I forgot about that... (D'OH!)But basically there is a stud (allen) with a jam nut that you can screw inward to tight the gear lash up. But don't get to carried away with it. Rock the steering shaft left to right checking the response of the pitman arm as you tighten the screw... DO NOT FORCE IT! 8|

When Mike says 'don't force it' listen.I do it with thumb and forefinger and back off 1/6th turn for the first run. Check the slack at straight on the steering wheel - if it takes more then 1 inch to start the wheels turning it is not tight enough ( measure at the steering wheel rim, just rolling in the parking lot). If it is over tightened it can break the box or make it a real ditch finder. Drifty boxes that have to be steered full time are often 2 turns on the sector screw.Easy adjustment to make but if the box is not centered ( exactly ) it is easy to jamb the sector bearings and with a little pressure make the box spring so that it leaks forever more.keydl

Michael & Keydl,Thanks guys. My steering is much better but it could use a little tweeking. I'm sure that will do the trick. Thanks for the how-to on that as well. What would I ever do without this message forum? :confused: Be cool,Dave

• Owner

Michael & Keydl, Thanks guys. My steering is much better but it could use a little tweeking. I'm sure that will do the trick. Thanks for the how-to on that as well. What would I ever do without this message forum? :confused: Be cool, Dave

Run around with your head cut off... LOL >:) ;)

I'd much rather see someone "running around with their head cut off" not knowing what to do......rather than someone with their head cut off pretending like they know what they're doing........aka (our elected representatives)!!!!! Enough said!!! :mad :moon