• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Deep Trans Pan 48R

I am looking for a post that had deep trans pan with extension. It was not BD or ATS I have done searches and nothing. I am starting to think I dreamed it. It was in the price range of 230.00 with drain plug and temp plug.Can anyone helpThanks

• Staff

PATC has it. I didn't get one because I couldn't see a temp port on it.

According to the installation instructions it has one, but you don't really want to monitor temps in the pan anyways, especially a double deep pan. The hot line is a far superior place to monitor temps and will actually tell you much faster if you are getting into a too hot of a range.

• Staff

What is the reasoning behind that?Just about everyone recommends reading the hot line as that's the hottest the fluid every gets and the fluid is damaged from temp long before the trans is. Your pan temps, especially in a DD pan, could be fine but the hot line could bet 60-90° hotter and your fluid is getting cooked.

• Staff

I want to know the temp of the fluid going in the trans. That is the fluid that it is running on. The fluid coming out is always hotter.

But then its really hard to monitor the quality of the fluid as it always fails from over temp before the trans does. Cooked fluid is what normally kills transmissions, not overheat.

I check the fluid level every 1500 miles and replace the fluid every 30k. I smell the fluid when I check the level. Also, there are only certain situations that cause lots of heat. If I think I pulled up a hill for too long in 2nd gear I'll check the fluid. If I am always in lockup I don't worry about it. I am buying new trannies or rebuilds pretty often with two trucks doing 150k to 250k miles a year. If I could find a way to make them last longer I would do it. I had one tranny I paid $1200 for last 314k. I have others that were twice that and only lasted 100k miles. I'd put 5 temp gauges on it if I thought it would help. There is rarely a temp increase before any of the break. I had a cooler line break in -20 degrees. I didn't know until the truck stopped moving. The input shaft broke without any temp increase. I have broken lots of planetaries and they didn't raise the temp either.