• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Delayed start

Hey guys,new to the forum,dodge,and Cummins. I recently purchased a 1999 drw, with 206k miles, for a work truck and I'm having what I call delayed start, meaning if I wait for the WTS light to come on it starts fine, extremely agrivating at a drive through. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold and no codes. What I've done so far is replace the APPS because of a code, clean battery connections,change fuel filter and check fuel pressure. The truck has a mopar remanufactured IP and tank located lift pump, the fuel pressure is extremely suspect and has to be addersed, its 9 psi at idle 5 psi at WOT, but when i shut it off the pressure bleeds to 0 and stays that way till the WTS light comes on then it goes to 10 psi and drops till i start the engine and the lift pump doesn't come on when i bump the starter. I've seen posts' about this but no resolution any help would be greatly appreciated:banghead:

• Owner

Fuel pressure is way to low... Head over here and do some reading... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/fuel-pressure/fuel-pressure.htm As for the :wts: light that is a internal ECM thing. You might try to have a Dodge Dealer re-flash it... Typically with my truck I never even look for te ligt or even wait I just nail te key and go. So I know the WTS light issue is a ECM problem.

the intank paump is definately a problem. i just replaced mine a couple of months ago with an Air Dog. mine got so bad i put a booster pump on it. you ought to be running 17 to 20 psi idle 15 to 18psi wot. that will feed enough fuel for cooling the vp as well as running the engine. the only cooling and lubrication the vp gets is from the fuel. with todays ultra low sulpher fuel you need to add 2 stroke oil to help with that lubrication. ther is much more detailed info here on the site that addresses this issue. have you seen any fuel leaking anywhere? it sounds like something is leaking for you to loose pressure once you get to 10psi. it could be any where in the fuel system even in the tank since your pump is in there. you definatley need to be thinking about replacing the pump with an Air Dog, raptor, Fass or another system of your choosing there alot of good ones out there. those 3 are the bext for the money in my opinion. that might cure your leak down problemm also. installed properly it will eliminate that part of the system. some of the other guys here know more about it than i do but that would be a good start toward solving your problem.

thanks for the replies. fuel pump is a definite, I think I've settled on an air dog 100, I found a kit with 1/2" fuel line and a draw straw that i guess i need. just wasn't to sure about it fixing my starting problem but I guess it could stop the back flow of pressure or maybe the overflow valve, but incline or decline doesn't make a difference

i put the ADII in mine it came with a kit that allowed the pick up to be installed in the fuel basket. i am not knocking the draw straw at all. plenty of folks have them with no problems it is just another option you can look at. the install did affect my fuel gauge reading. i believe i caused that by letting the basket turn a little of the indes mark and the float is rubbing the side of the tank when the fuel is low.