• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Did the 4th gear hunt fix..what now?

Hi guys,Michael, I did your fix for this problem but today it's back. `:( I had a very knowledgeable mechanic run the lines & followed the procedure precisely. It has not given me a hint of trouble. That was September of 08. Now it's hunting again. What to do? What was repaired still looks good, as far as connections & such.No, I did not have any codes checked yet,Dave

• Owner

Another cause I heard off was a bad alternator... If the diode(s) fail it creates noise in the power system of the truck and for some reason creates this problem. You might test the alternator and see if there is a problem.I'll check around and see if I can find some more ideas...

How can I tell what Alt I have? Bosch or Denso? Connections maybe? I'll have to see if I can find the name anywhere. :confused: Would I be able to get a diode pack? I saw a used one, alternator, on ebay for like 45 bucks.Thanks,Dave :thumbsup

OK, so here's the deal. The alternator is showing full charge after a minute, but this morning I got a check gauges lite that was on longer than expected. The hunt is only at speeds between 40-50. Not always.Is this normal, I only get full charge after a minute seems longer than any other vehicle I've had. all others were after start up.Thanks, Dave

After driving over 125 miles yesterday the last 5 miles had the hunt on all the time when it should be in Lockup overdrive.I'm looking for a reman alt. I hope this gets me back on the road to lockupsville! So is this the second cause of my problem?Dave

Hi Guys,On Friday went to get hay, while pulling my trailer I experienced no hunt & drove over 50 miles. :thumbsup I took it down to Autozone after I was done, had the alternator checked, 13.89 volts, It passed all tests :smart including diode pattern good.I should have know this, Duh! The alternator doesn't kick into full charge until the 12V heater grid is shut down, once that happens then up to 14V, hence the delay. I'm learning. My 6.9 Ferd, just went to full charge after start up. LOL What's bad is, what happens if this occurs while I'm driving it on vacation? Does this gear hunt damage the 47RE at all? BTW fluid looks & feels fine. The mechanic that performed the 4th gear hunt surgery checked her over last September, saidthe transmission tail shaft was replaced, so I'm thinking I may have a rebuild. :confused: It does shift a little unsmooth normally.Thanks,Dave

Thanks M73M, for taking the extra time to find that for me..................You Rock!I will take that to my guy to have him check it out. Same guy that did the gear hunt fix for me.I was worried I'd have issues on my drive to Canada this Saturday. Thanks again,Dave

Wow! I have a new truck on my hands! I was totally expecting to have the dealer to put on a new APPS & a IP. All they did was updated all my computers, Three they said, mine had original factory data. I can't believe the difference. Dead pedal is gone, 4th gear hunt is gone. It always started great at any temp so no problem there. Oh when he took it for a test drive he was able to get the trans to shift into 4th gear by 10MPH. I wasn't able to do that, but that's what he said.Anther thing they found was that who ever redid my trans, installed the cable way too tight. It was bumping out before it hit the gov. This truck is wonderful w/ a stock intake & exhaust. It's like I put 'em on already.Now I can concertrate on making my biodiesel processor this summer I hope. BTW, my ball joints finally came, Moog, from Jeg's. A bass player friend of mine hooked me up w/ a sweet gentlemen's deal. Half off from the catolog price. :thumbsup Those will be on after I get more hay today I will start. Mechanic said I was about ready to lose the left top drivers side.\Life is good,Dave

Sounds like the problem is solved and the dealer did you right! Glad to hear it! :thumbsup

Yea, I hear ya! My wife & I were figuring out how we were going to pay for it before I went. My wife had me go a day early so they could get the parts ordered so they could get here so the vehicle wouldn't delay our vacation plans. When the mechanic was running the reflashes, he looked down to see a shiny factory FP. He asked me where I got It, I said Cummins dealer. Maybe you Michael told me to pick one up at a Cummins dealer while on the CumminsForum site. Thanks! Great advice the Mopar dealer couldn't get original design one for years, went to the intank fix. I was asking him about my VP44, I read that they only last 200,000 mile, w/ 177,000 I figured I was running close to borrowed time. He said actually that the VP44 is pretty much indestructable unless you run it out of fuel, like the lift pump going out. Keep it lubricated w/ M73M's 2 stoke oil, nother additive, biodiesel, it should last the life of the truck. :thumbsup A shot of optimism couldn't hurt! The dealer also warned me of a drivers side top ball joint getting ready to fall off. I told him that my Moog ball joints got here on Monday. Got em' from Jeg's a bass player freind of mine that is a dealer to Jeg's got me a gentlemen's deal. Half off catalog price, sweet! I will start getting them on tonight after I get more hay. Can't wait till I pull a trailer today! Now that I'm getting my truck problems solved, maybe now I can build that biodiesel processor this summer. Have most of the parts, found a local source for methanol, & lye, look out getting my ducks lined up in a row for once. :wow Keep the fuel cool, Dave