• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AGR Performance Steering Gear with Variable Ratio

Hey,Got the email about cleaning inactive accounts. Don't cut me off man! I just started to look into this and figured I would post to make sure I was active. My steering box/ gear appears to be leaking and is a bit sloppy. I saw this at a autopart chain's site. AGR Performance Steering gear. "Super Box 2 Variable ratio 13-16:1 with firm valving for better handling and drivability at hwy speeds. Many performance components like AGR’s tribearing, Billet aluminum caps, etc. All in vibratory finished case."Anybody recommend this or something else? Sounds good, I like the variable ratio idea, but this aint no sports car.

• Owner

As for clearing you out... You got more that 0 post so you don't qualify... LOL But as for the steering box I would of said to rebuild it yourself. The seal kits are rather cheaper and easy to do yourself if you want to go there. No as for the sloppyness that is most likely the sector adjustment on the top of the gear box. There is a stud with a jam nut on it. You want to screw the stud inwards till it bottoms out then back it off slightly. Don't force it.This might help... As for the steering box replacement if you got the money I would be will to give it a try since its a variable box it might be really nice uprade ot the stock one... :thumbsup Who knows??? :confused:

I have heard mixed results about the AGR stuff. There was a kit at one point in time for retro-fitting a 3rd gen box into a 2nd gen truck which from my understanding was fairly simple and only required a few changes for the spine differences. They say the 3rd gen box is much tighter and more responsive than the 2nd gen gear.Mopar1973Man is right about the sector adjustment. I am sure a lot of steering boxes get replaced due to wear causing slop when a sector adjustment would tighten it back up. Just don't tighten it too much.

Mike, I'm pretty sure that "rack and pinion" are only on 2wd's and/or 1500 Rams. Don't quote me on that though. I've got almost the same front end as you, only the geometry is a bit different...........and Danas vs. AAM axles. Remember, I used to have a '99!!! :thumbsup