• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Why???

dorkweed

I experiment a lot with my truck. One thing that I'm at a loss to figure out is this...............When I'm cruising on the highway at 65mph without the AC on and the windows closed and the fan on only, my boost is running 4-5psi and EGT's are about 600*F. Get this though.........same conditions/speed.......I turn the AC on to recirulate mode...............boost drops to a steady 4psi and EGT's drop to about 550 or slightly less. Let me say this, both of these scenarios are running level ground with little or no wind. Does turning the AC on "advance" the timing that much more???? I've done the "tone ring mod" and run the Smarty on default settings. If I advance the timing on the Smarty, I get "timing rattle". I don't see how this scenario works out!!!!???? :confused: :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Modern A/C doesn't have near the drag of older A/C's. I can tell you that. My old gasser (C30 454, built for towing) got 11mpg... loaded, towing 9000# or empty. The only thing that mattered was turning on the A/C cost 1 mpg. I don't know how they did it but my vehicles the A/C doesn't seem to affect mpg. I read tests where better mpg with windows up & A/C on than windows down & it off.I know this is not exactly what you asked... maybe something compensates in the programming. Odd fer sure.Russell

I see two changes - recirc - stops the air flow through the cab and out the rear door gap.and - A/C comp runs as called by the thermostatThe recirk stops the drain from the base of the windshield of the high pressure air. the bubble shape would change in front of the windshield and behind the cab.Try A/C and A/C recircI have an '84 GMC w/ 454, 400, 4.56 gears. 11mpg @ 55, 8mpg@65, drops about .2mpg with a trailer/tractor - 12,200#. I moved a 12x68 mobile home and it dropped to 6.6 for 47k gcw. Better than the old International but not as good as the Ford with a Cat.keydl