• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone heard of...

hex0rz

I call upon this thread to be brought back from the dead! :ahhh: Here is a recent find! http://www.primitiveways.com/Fire%20Piston%20using%20commercial%20materials.html Going to the hardware store tonight to hopefully get the materials. Figured I'd pass this on for others who are interested. Could not justify buying one so I will build one!

• Like 1

Seems to me this could also be made easily by converting one of the very small hand pumps for a bicycle tire. I have one at the house that matches the size specs almost perfect. It would just have to be modified for the ember holding and removal of the actual air hose to seal the end. Just a quick thought anyway. I will look into it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well, its possible, I suppose. Very large fire piston! Their made to be a little more portable! :lol:Worked on this project last night. Was having trouble getting a groove cut in the dowel for the o-ring. Took me some time to figure out how to get it a bit functional. Still don't think I have it where I want it. Put my dowel in the drill and the end wobbled too much and did not give me a concentric groove.Wish I knew someone with a lathe!I broke down and did 2 o-rings next to each other and then did the super glue. Fidgeting around with it today. Takes form! The guy was not kidding when he said 50 tries. I have yet to get an ember to stay lit. I'm getting it burn some and have lots of smoke. The knob on the end reaally helps to push. As you have to push FAST and pretty hard.Using beeswax as my lube, too. Out of the materials I got last night:1. 2' section of 1/2" copper tube2. 4 1/2" caps3. 1 1/2" 3' oak dowel4. 9/16" o-rings5. 2" wooden knob ballsI soldered the caps on the copper for an airtight seal. Lots of lube in the beginning to get it to slide down the tube easier. With this much material, I'm able to make FOUR(4) fire pistons for less than $15!I think I'm gonna try making some char cloth and see how that goes. I don't want to have to use char cloth as that is not something readily available in the woods. Maybe some birch bark or moss?I'm wondering if the dimensions are the proper size. As it does not seem it needs this mush oomph to make it work. I was reading somewhere that some of them only require the push of your finger!

Posted Image

This is neat. I'm thinking I have a junk mini-mag body in the scrap bin... (leaked batteries when forgotten over winter in camper). I bet it would make a good tube for this. Cutting a groove is no big deal on Southbend. Turning a plunger to fit is no issue either.

:spank::surrender:

Russ, I nominate you to make me one! :thumbup2::lol:

....I'd love to have a plunger machined out instead of a dowel... Then again, I also would not use a copper piper for the outer either.

I'd like to get one in a stainless steel! :hyper:

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you are familiar with the hand pumps I am referring to. It's only about 6 inches in length and 1/2 inch in diameter. Just meant to make minute pressure adjustments. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

:think: Eh? Really... That is one small pump!