• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injection pump gear removal problems

This past Saturday I was planning on taking my injection pump off so that I could replace my tappet cover gasket since its leaking pretty good, but I could not get the injection pump gear to budge. I took the nut and washer off the shaft then put my puller on it and all I managed to do was bend the steel plate part of the puller and one of the 10.9 hardness bolts, the gear did not move at all. So I am at a loss of what to do next, did I miss something? or is my gear just really stuck on there?

X3, that gear is only on there with friction that the nut applies to it and over time it adheres to the shaft pretty good. It needs a few taps of the hammer to "shock" it to get it off that shaft. Just make sure you have tension equally, not putting more on one side of the gear than the other.Make sure the shaft on the P7100 is completely dry when you stick it back into the timing case/gear because it needs all the friction it can get to keep it from slipping so any oil on that shaft is a bad thing. Tighten it back up to exactly 145 ft lbs, no more no less. People have a lot of trouble with them slipping that is why it is so critical. I've never had it slip but I always do like I said so it must work.

One out of three or four times it's been an absolute bear to tighten the nut without the pump turning, so watch that on reassembly.

Good point. I see he has a 5 speed. If you put it in 5th and set the parking brake it won't budge. 1st gear gives the engine a lot of leverage so you can actually move the truck while the brake is on by barring the engine over. 5th gear has the least leverage and frankly, you won't budge it.
  • Like 1

Alright thanks for the input guys I will have to try it again when I get a chance. Putting it in 5th sounds like a great idea, I had a hard time loosening and tightening that nut when I had it off before since I was doing it by myself.

ISX, What works the best to tork the injector gear nut to the shaft on trucks with autos? What do you have out of the way/ off in order to gain the leverage needed to tork that nut to 140? What cleaner have you used in the past that does not leave any resadue? Thans dave.

ISX, What works the best to tork the injector gear nut to the shaft on trucks with autos? What do you have out of the way/ off in order to gain the leverage needed to tork that nut to 140? What cleaner have you used in the past that does not leave any resadue? Thans dave.

Yeah like Mr. Mindless said, a barring tool. It turns the engine really slow which also makes it really easy to hold the engine still. I have never really used any cleaner, just wiped it off really good with a rag until it was really dry. Something like paint thinner (acetone) would work good too since it evaporates then wipe it off for good measure.