• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How about Windows Vista Inside Ubuntu Linux?

• Owner

How about running two operation systems and having Windows Vista x64 with Ubuntu Linux 12.04? Well I've done it. I'm now capable of going back and forth between both operating system without rebooting! * Ubuntu Linux 12.04 x64 * Windows Vista x64 Ultimate running within Oracle VirtualBox. post-2-138698189308_thumb.jpg Now what I've learned about this is Windows is a pig when it comes to CPU power constantly pulling on the CPU and memory thankfully I've got the ability of throttling how much this virtual machine get for resources from the Linux. But I got to admit it cool to be able to use Windows for those odd ball programs that you can't find a Linux version. Also it allows me to still run IE browser for web site testing yet... :wink: Hey Rogan I'm really loving the Linux now... :thumbup2:

Hmm, I wonder... I have pondered about getting linux. Just was hesitant about doing it since I was worried about being able to run some programs. But, if I could do this, well, that just changes everything!How to I get me the Linux OS?? I know there are a few linux os', so which one to get also? :think:

• Owner

Here is a good site to research Linux Distro's. There is hundreds of different version of Linux out there. http://distrowatch.com/ Ubuntu is the easiest I know of for a newbie to try out. If you want you can reversre the VirtualBox and install it on your Windows Machine and do a Virtual Ubuntu if you wish. This will give you time to test drive Linux and what version you want without format hard drives. Oracle VirtualBox is pretty neat because it create a virtual hard drive as well. Like my create Windows install is a virtual 20GB drive virtual 1.5 GB RAM.post-2-138698189316_thumb.jpg Since Linux is a multi-desktop environment I can move windows to its own desktop and continue within Linux... At this point I can drag and drop windows or porgrams to any of the 4 desktops I wish. post-2-138698189328_thumb.jpg Or I can grab the middle mouse button and flip desktops and go back and forth between Windows or Linux. post-2-138698189339_thumb.jpg Just tell me that Windows 8 is better... Go on... :lmao::lmao2:

I bought wifee's Dell with Vista (at the time). I hate Vista. Later, forced to upgrade my XP machines, I bought 7 on a laptop & a desktop. Any change requires some adjustment but I didn't at first but have come to like 7. & also seems to run older devises & programs that Vista would not. From what I'm hearing 8 is having features removed to better run mobile apps on a compact devise. I'm not upgrading to 8. I'm not expert here just an every day user.

• Owner

That's why I bailed ship and moved over to Linux. I got tired of all the extra software to make you system perform well and protect it from hackers, virus, malware, etc. All of this cost system resources to load up Norton Internet Security, TuneUp Utilities, Peerblock, etc. With Linux you don't need all these programs any longer. Linux doesn't require anti-virus, defragmenting, tuneups, etc. It just works good! But there is a few Windows Apps I still want to continue to use like my Automotive Wolf, Some of my Web Design stuff, etc.So I've been doing the flip-flop shutting down one and rebooting to another. So now with Oracle VirtualBox I can now fire up some of these favorite programs yet and not have to flip-flop booting to get it done.

That's why I bailed ship and moved over to Linux. I got tired of all the extra software to make you system perform well and protect it from hackers, virus, malware, etc. All of this cost system resources to load up Norton Internet Security, TuneUp Utilities, Peerblock, etc. With Linux you don't need all these programs any longer. Linux doesn't require anti-virus, defragmenting, tuneups, etc. It just works good! But there is a few Windows Apps I still want to continue to use like my Automotive Wolf, Some of my Web Design stuff, etc. So I've been doing the flip-flop shutting down one and rebooting to another. So now with Oracle VirtualBox I can now fire up some of these favorite programs yet and not have to flip-flop booting to get it done.

I've never understood how linux does not have virus problems like windows or mac. How is that?

• Owner

The biggest thing is because its open source code. In other word there is millions of eyes looking at the code fixing holes or security problems. About every 3-4 days there is a update for one of the packages on my computer. So even if someone wrote a virus for Linux in about 3-4 days the code would change and the virus would die. Then you might install Linux and place yourself as a Administrator. But you still not allow to do higher function unless you log in as a "sudo", super user, or root user. So like say for example I wanted to kill Conky process (blue box on the right of my screen) I would fire up terminal and type...

sudo killall conky
POOF! Gone... But if the command for sudo was skipped the system won't allow it. Or if your user rights are lower than Admin it system won't allow it. So like on Windows it just pops up a box ask do you want to do this and you just click. BOOM! If you were not paying attention you might of just install your virus. Or like in Windows 7 they allow you to shut off the notification box (Bad idea. Less secure). There is other things that make Linux rock solid being that most of the system files are owned by ROOT you can't modify them. So if your just surfing the web and attempt to take on a virus neither you or the virus have administrative rights to over right a system file so the virus just basically bounces off. So since I don't need a firewall/antivirus program like Norton's the system is much lighter. Not everything must be done through a terminal box. There is apps out there for the GUI to allow you do the same function with a GUI apps. Like for example typically all apps are installed through the terminal box but you could install Synaptic Package Manager or use Ubuntu Software Center. Lot of people have hard time dealing with going back to a DOS like environment to do administrative work. But like Rogan taught me early on that the terminal box will get so much more work done with out using a ton of system resources (no graphics or point and click). Well he's right I can jump from my computer right in to web server and bounce around taking care of internal web site stuff. Like there is commands for listing hardware and believe it or not but it give much more information about the hardware in Linux than in Windows! I'm still learning... post-2-138698189396_thumb.jpg Just my 2,000+ programs I've got installed... :tongue: If you want to see what Ubuntu is up to you could sneak in and read the Ubuntu-devel-discuss Archives... https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/ Something you can't do with Apple or Microsoft. Since most all software is part of the Linux Community it has to meet there high standards. Being there is no hardware drivers (Yes. Hardware drivers are a thing of the past!) for Linux really there is less of a hole for hacker/viri to come through. Now like on my computer I do have 2 drivers 1 for my Nvidia Video card (Ubuntu Driver) and Canon 4100 printer driver (Canon) so my weak spot would be the Canon drive if any. Since most all software comes from the repository then you know its secure and Linux Community Authorized it. But if you download from another source then I would double check the checksum against the makers checksum to verify its real! Keep asking I answer what I can... :)

post-2-138698189389_thumb.png

• Owner

Just about 90% of all Linux Distro's are FREE!!! Like no money, no cost, zip... http://distrowatch.com/ <- Check them all out! As for hardware compatibility I would do the Download the Ubuntu and burn it to a optical disk (CD or DVD) and then fire it up. Ubuntu allows for operation off a optical disk so you can test drive without ever format a drive or copying a file. Nice way to test drive to see if it works for you. Or like I showed you can download Oracle VirtualBox and install it in Windows and test drive it and see if there is any issues. Like my only issue I had was my printer. I didn't just give up I went back to Ubuntu's Forum and started reading and found a solution by installing a few extra files (Bam!) She working again. The is still a few weird flaws but I still get around them.