• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dodge v10 to cummins diesel swap

hi guys im new here, little bit bout myself, im 41 live in ky and just retired from the army, 20years 3 months, 6 days, wont talk about my mos, but i did 3 tours in iraq/afghanistan, married and have 3 daughters. and 1 1999 dodge 2500 with a v10.now the other day i bought a 1997 3500 with a 5.9 cummins 12 valve in it, its an automatic 2wd, to where mine is an automatic 4x4, im really wanting to put this motor in my 2500 due to the fact my dodge is like damn near new condition, and the fact it hasnt been driven in the last 11 years, very much. and best of all its paid for lol. it has a 5 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift, riding on 38 ssr's. so basically i really like my truck.my questions here are, can you guys who have done this swap, tell me what im going to expect. as far as mine being 2 years newer, 4x4, ive studied alot of info that i can find, as far as the motor will sit right down in my truck,with my motor mounts, my trainny will bolt right up to it. but im having issues on the wiring end. i do not wanna switch dashes in the trucks, maybe the cluster, but it has 185000 miles on it, and mine has 3651 miles on it. also i do not care for the way the 1997 dash looks. not to mention its not in as good of shape as mine, but i am really addiment on doing this swap. i called a place that makes wiring harnesses and he said they should be the same harness, same computer thats on the firewall in both trucks and for 800.00 he could make me a harness, out of the two i have, but if there isnt alot of major differences, i would rather save the money and make my own harness work. as far as sensors, etcim not the best mechanic in the world but im not stupid either, i can learn rather quick on how to do things, but i would require some assistance/help from others who have done this swap. so any inputs from you folks, would be greatly appreciated.thank you in advance, chris

Hi Chris, and welcome.For starters, the V10 and Cummins have the same bell-housings/transmissions, from what I remember.The 12V has very few electrics, and the trans controller should definitely be the same, IIRC. There are subtle differences in sensors and their connectors. I believe the radiator and such is also the same.You should be able to swap most stuff from the 97 into the 99 "fairly easily".. Trans-wise, you'll need to swap the tailshaft sections of the v10's trans onto the diesel trans, in order to use the t-case essentials.. That is, if you don't want to retain your v10's transmission.I know this info doesn't help a lot, but it should give you something to go on, direction-wise. And welcome to the family :thumbup2:

Yep, welcome and thanks for your service. Fobbit or otherwise, it takes a team effort to be an Army of one. LOL Former 19D here. Didn't stay long enough to retire, but I should have.

thanks for your service also, wish i would have been a fobbit life would have been alot easier/funner, lol