• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New VP, now how to add power....

I am trying to figure out who to buy an Injection pump from. Most are right around $1,000 give or take $50. I had planned to buy a stealth plate and injector nozzles along with the pump... However, It has been brought to my attention, that any sort of wire tap WILL void the warranty. I have been told that most places sell the same pump, so its areally all about who you like. I really like Moparman's set up with RV275 injectors, and Edge comp box. The comp box is a wire tap box, therefor, No warranty.Questions:1. Who have YOU bought a pump from, and how do you like it?2. How dangerous is a wire tap? 3. What is a good set up for a non-wire tap programmer? 4. I know you "Should" get your injectors pop tested, but what will happen if I dont. If I buy nozzles, and send them out for pop testing, will I have the same or more money in them than if I buy the whole injector from who ever?My goals for the truck is 400ish HP, I know that the general rule of thumb is that the HX35 is good to about 350hp, so I might step up to an HX40 or similar down the road. Who knows..My plans are to take baby steps, So unless I run across a killer deal on a programmer or turbo, I might very well run threw the new VP's warranty period with out a programmer. educate me.... :smart:

• Owner

1. Dealer with warranty coverage back at 48K miles.2. Using a stealth plate its not dangerous at all.3. Non-wire tapped it limited to 60-65 HP regardless of what you get. But tapped you can reach out to 120-180 HP.4. I would rather opt for full injectors knowing they are pop tested and going to in time. Where as nozzles and not pop testing you might have the pop pressures off and so timing will be off advanced or retarded on a per cylinder basis.

• Like 1

Thank you Mopar, If you where buying a new VP, would you feel safe in forgoing the warranty, and installing the stealth plate right out of the box? Good point on the injectors.. makes perfect since. Maybe this is the wrong way to look at things, but is there a way to hid, or get rid of the hole the stealth plate leaves if I have an issue with the pump? Keep in mind, I have never seen a plate, or anything inside the VP... Not to question Mopar's logic, or undermind him, but anyone else have different experience with anything above? I like hearing from more than once source. :)

• Owner

Thank you Mopar, If you where buying a new VP, would you feel safe in forgoing the warranty, and installing the stealth plate right out of the box?

Yes. I would...

Good point on the injectors.. makes perfect since.

Not like a gasser where everything is control by electrical pulses this is solely pressure against a spring.

Maybe this is the wrong way to look at things, but is there a way to hid, or get rid of the hole the stealth plate leaves if I have an issue with the pump? Keep in mind, I have never seen a plate, or anything inside the VP...

Stock VP44 will have a aluminium cover which you remove and put the stealth plate on top of the electronics so when the pump returns for warranty coverage you remove your plate and install the stock cover. No hole to be seen or cut wire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not to question Mopar's logic, or undermind him, but anyone else have different experience with anything above? I like hearing from more than once source. :)

No problem... That what the forum is here for to hear many different views and ideas... :wink:
  • Like 2

Stock VP44 will have a aluminium cover which you remove and put the stealth plate on top of the electronics so when the pump returns for warranty coverage you remove your plate and install the stock cover. No hole to be seen or cut wire.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I assume that IF I had some issue with the pump with in the 1 year warranty period, and I did have the stealth plate, once I sent it in the 1st thing they would do is look at the wire for signs of a tap, and then pull the cover off and see if there was a hole from a stealth plate (I assume the stealth plate pokes a hole in some plastic cover??). If I was buying from Napa, or a local parts house I wouldnt think twice about, but most of the places I am talking to know there stuff about a VP44 and what to look for...

I like to plan for the worst case, because so far everything that can go wrong has... Maybe I am over thinking, but so far I have had terrible luck with this truck and I really want to only spend my money once...

- - - Updated - - -

One of the vendors on CF has recomended running a larger set of injectors (100hp or so), and a programer that does not wire tap. (65hp). Anyone out there have an input on this?

My thought on this would be run a Power Puck and 100hp injectors... What would I be looking at with that set up? How accurate are HP numbers. I know that it depends on the truck, but if they say 50hp, will it really be 50hp, or more like 35?

There seem to be so many ways to get the same result... I just want a simple yet effective route. I dont like, or need flashy gadgets and do-dads. I would rather my truck look like sleeper... not that Im out to race anything.... :neutral:

I am by no means an expert and I was afraid to tap the pump wire as well, but Mike talked me into it during my fuel system install and I have to say it is easier than you think. A little tight to work in there, but you will be much happier in the end. And I bought all my stuff from Diesel Auto Power, they have the best pricing I found and were great to buy from. I almost ended up buying a lift pump that required me to drop the tank and I was not aware of that. They called me almost immediately after placing my order to make sure it was what I wanted and explained the differences to me. Turns out the AD100 is more than I should ever need to fuel my truck according to my future plans. They saved me money and a big hassle on the install.

• Owner

The top 3 killers of VP44's.1. Lack of fuel pressure.2. Lack of lubricity.3. Lack of filtration.To this day I've never seen a wire tap kill a VP44. Seriously. Usually one of the above things that kills it. Just Bosch rebuilders love to blame the owners for mods because they make more money that way. :whistle:I listened to all the horror stories too and got to the point and said, "Screw it! I'm going forward just like everyone else on this planet did." If it wasn't for the wire tap we wouldn't be making serious horsepower with these engine and would be the laughing stock of the diesel world.But this is your truck and your money so you can listen or ignore me your choice... :wink:

Most important thing to look for in an injection pump is buying a new computer. Lots of places will advertise all about their warranties, prices, etc but will not mention their computers. Many will bench test the used computer on a core pump if it passes inspection it gets passed on to you. Who knows how long it will last, maybe a day past your warranty maybe 10 years. You just have no way of telling how many heat cycles are on that computer so its best to buy new. I have a Blue Chip pump i have heard alot of comments he is way over priced all i know is he is the most knowledgeable person Ive ever talked to regarding the fuel systems on our trucks. If you havent checked his website out you should even if you dont buy from him it is a very informative site there is tons of info to pick up on from him.

I am by no means an expert and I was afraid to tap the pump wire as well, but Mike talked me into it during my fuel system install and I have to say it is easier than you think. A little tight to work in there, but you will be much happier in the end. And I bought all my stuff from Diesel Auto Power, they have the best pricing I found and were great to buy from. I almost ended up buying a lift pump that required me to drop the tank and I was not aware of that. They called me almost immediately after placing my order to make sure it was what I wanted and explained the differences to me. Turns out the AD100 is more than I should ever need to fuel my truck according to my future plans. They saved me money and a big hassle on the install.

I have been talking to JDkidd with DAP. I really like there price... I have the AD165.. I know all about dropping the tank, not as bad as you might think, but it is a lot of work.

The top 3 killers of VP44's. 1. Lack of fuel pressure. 2. Lack of lubricity. 3. Lack of filtration. To this day I've never seen a wire tap kill a VP44. Seriously. Usually one of the above things that kills it. Just Bosch rebuilders love to blame the owners for mods because they make more money that way. :whistle: I listened to all the horror stories too and got to the point and said, "Screw it! I'm going forward just like everyone else on this planet did." If it wasn't for the wire tap we wouldn't be making serious horsepower with these engine and would be the laughing stock of the diesel world. But this is your truck and your money so you can listen or ignore me your choice... :wink:

ok ok ok! :lol: I get it, wire taps are where its at! I think the 6.0 Powerstroke has the laughing stock award on lock down. :cool:

Most important thing to look for in an injection pump is buying a new computer. Lots of places will advertise all about their warranties, prices, etc but will not mention their computers. Many will bench test the used computer on a core pump if it passes inspection it gets passed on to you. Who knows how long it will last, maybe a day past your warranty maybe 10 years. You just have no way of telling how many heat cycles are on that computer so its best to buy new. I have a Blue Chip pump i have heard alot of comments he is way over priced all i know is he is the most knowledgeable person Ive ever talked to regarding the fuel systems on our trucks. If you havent checked his website out you should even if you dont buy from him it is a very informative site there is tons of info to pick up on from him.

I did find Blue Chips page... I have to take baby steps when reading about this stuff... its easy for me to get sucked in and get overwhelmed. I will be reading more about there pump. I dont mind spending a little more, knowing I wont have to spend it again anytime soon.

I bought my VP from Oregon Injection. Got the one with a new computer also.

Midwest fuel injection also does new computers too. (At least what I've heard).

I will look at both of those places also. Thanks to everyone, I feel like a baby bird leaving the nest. Kinda scared to make the wrong choice and paying the price. :spend: