• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Reliability advice requested

Afternoon.I'm a full-time Rver, and tow a 26' fifth wheel about 25% of the time. I only have 140,000 miles on my Dodge, and since I'm retired I'd like for it to last another 10-15 years. It's a 1999 Dodge 2500 4x4 5spd 24 valve.My truck weighs 7700 pounds empty, and my fifth wheel weighs around 11,000. I have a Scangauge II, and also a EGT and boost gauge. I drive around 55mph towing and 60mph solo, and get around 10-11mpg towing, 20mpg solo. Oh, and my axle ration is 3.53 and everything in the truck is original equipment except for the Scangauge, EGT, and boost gauge.Now, for the question. I see a lot of discussion about things like lift pump failures and VP44 failures, which are IMHO inordinately expensive. We have the bad habit of boondocking (dry camping) in rather remote areas, so I'd not want to break way out there. Would it be in my best interests to contemplate purchasing and installing either or both a lift pump or VP44 fuel pump? I see discussion about good lift pumps 'saving' VP44s. In that case, perhaps it would be good to purchase a heavy duty lift pump and have it installed before bad things happen? If I did that, would that curb the chances somewhat of the fuel pump dying?Thanks for any and all answers.Silverjim

to answer your question directly...YES UPGRADE YOUR Lift Pump!that REALLY expensive pump must always have 10psi and the stock one usually won't deliver that pressure while pulling your 5th wheel. a new pump doesn't fix damage that has already occurred but can prevent it. the good ones(AIRDOG and FASS) have lifetime warranties. you should look into getting a fuel pressure gauge. it will tell you if your in the danger zone(under 14psi).welcome to the forum

still want more info? http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/fuel-pressure/fuel-pressure.htm http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/overflow-valve/overflow-valve.htm as you can see the only way that pump doesn't over heat is because 70% of the fuel is returned to the tank. that fuel is what cools the vp44. that overflow valve doesn't open until 14-16psi...so imo the 10psi dodge says that the pump needs still isn't enough to open the valve.

Edited by guesswho512
add page

• Owner

Afternoon. I'm a full-time Rver, and tow a 26' fifth wheel about 25% of the time. I only have 140,000 miles on my Dodge, and since I'm retired I'd like for it to last another 10-15 years. It's a 1999 Dodge 2500 4x4 5spd 24 valve. My truck weighs 7700 pounds empty, and my fifth wheel weighs around 11,000. I have a Scangauge II, and also a EGT and boost gauge. I drive around 55mph towing and 60mph solo, and get around 10-11mpg towing, 20mpg solo. Oh, and my axle ration is 3.53 and everything in the truck is original equipment except for the Scangauge, EGT, and boost gauge. Now, for the question. I see a lot of discussion about things like lift pump failures and VP44 failures, which are IMHO inordinately expensive. We have the bad habit of boondocking (dry camping) in rather remote areas, so I'd not want to break way out there. Would it be in my best interests to contemplate purchasing and installing either or both a lift pump or VP44 fuel pump? I see discussion about good lift pumps 'saving' VP44s. In that case, perhaps it would be good to purchase a heavy duty lift pump and have it installed before bad things happen? If I did that, would that curb the chances somewhat of the fuel pump dying? Thanks for any and all answers. Silverjim

Well Silver Jim... I'm very close to you in usage... I'm in the middle of Idaho there is no service for miles in some of the places I go. Like Riggins, ID has no mechanics really just a single Chevron station that will change oil and tires but thats it. So as for taking care of the truck I've done everything in my power to make it bulletproof. As for lift pump I highly suggest you talk to JKidd and he'll set you up with like a AirDog, Raptor or every a FASS. But don't bother with a FASS DDRP they are junk. As for keeping the VP44 in top notch you might consider using a good fuel lubricant additive or 2 cycle oil. More information here... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/2-cycle-oil.htm

It seems like my Scangauge will monitor the fuel pressure if there's an appropriate sensor somewheres. I have no idea if there is. Thanks for the advice, guesswho512. I'll keep it in mind. silverjim

Sorry the SG II can only read when the ECM/PCM reports. Since only 10% of all vehicles produced have a fuel pressure sensor the chances are rare to use the FP function of the SG II. Since the SG II can only see when the ECM/PCM report. Sorry...

Thanks for that information. It looks like I'll be acquiring something like an Airdog or Raptor in the near future. I will have to hunt around for someplace that sells and installs those critters, as I am somewhat inept at such matters.By the way, I used to work for the Wallowa-Whitman NF, and would go to Riggins now and then to fix their computer(s). Nice country, but a little warm in the summer for my tastes.

• Owner

Really easy to do... I did the AD 150 because I plan on upgrade injectors in the future... But here is my write up. http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/airdog-150/airdog-150.htm As for like a Raptor its really simple and can be done with basic hand tools and little effort you can install a rapto in about 3-4 hours taking your time... It a complete kit and comes with all wiring, fittings and hose.

Thanks for that information. It looks like I'll be acquiring something like an Airdog or Raptor in the near future. I will have to hunt around for someplace that sells and installs those critters, as I am somewhat inept at such matters. By the way, I used to work for the Wallowa-Whitman NF, and would go to Riggins now and then to fix their computer(s). Nice country, but a little warm in the summer for my tastes.

A raptor is pretty easy to install. A raptor is rated at 95GPH or 150GPH. It will flow much more that the DDRP (rated at 40GPH) and your stock is close to 25GPH. The Raptor has a lifetime warranty, does a much better job of keeping fuel pressure up. you can get teh airdog with the extra filters, but its not necessary on the vp44 trucks, but highly recommend on the 3rd gen commonrails as they are very picky about contaminated fuel. I have a promotion right now where you can get a raptor 100 for $389 and then get rebates for a final cost of less than $350 shipped. The promotion is 11-13% off all purchases after rebate. Give me a call if I can help. 951-377-4844 JKIDD

• 2 weeks later...