• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

12V Faq's comments...

• Owner

Wow! ISX... So far you got my attention that really good and killer right write for the 12V's... I know taz had looked at it and been reading it a bunch. Keep going... I might have to steal this and add it to the static page write ups. Then I might to cut and paste chunks of this for the 24V side too... :lmao2:

Well I'm trying to hit all the common things but its hard to remember them all. I had a dream about the 5th gear nut, woke up and wrote that part :lol3: I notice a lot of people also just tell you something like, the temp gauge fluctuation is normal, period. I wanted to let people know why things happen. Nothing I hate more than just having to accept something as being fine just because someone said so, I like knowing why it is fine.. I got more things to throw in that I have to wait til I'm at home to add where I have tools.. It's turning out better than I thought it would though :woot:

• Owner

Nothing I hate more than just having to accept something as being fine just because someone said so, I like knowing why it is fine..

your just like me I hate just excepting the typical forum information unless it backed up with a few tidbit of information. That basically how the static web pages got built I kept compiling the information as the tidbits came to me... :cool:

Well if people know how things work then they become more knowledgeable about them and are able figure out what is going on with their truck. Not to mention they will know what to do when something does happen and should be able to go past that and create a solution for the problem beyond my solutions because they will know exactly how it works and may have a better idea for the fix than I.Give a man a fish/teach him how to fish..

Edited by ISX

Hmm, well tell me how this does. The injector on a diesel works much like a gas engine's spark plug in that it determines when the explosion inside the combustion chamber happens. The only difference is that diesels do not use a spark, they rely solely on the heat of compression which ignites the fuel the instant the injector shoots it into the chamber. The injector fires based on a set pop-off pressure. Once the fuel in the injection lines reach a certain psi, the injector opens instantly pops open and shoots a set amount of fuel in. The p7100 pump has 6 little pistons that build pressure for each individual injector. The bore and stroke of that piston determines how many cc's of fuel is pushed through the injector. After pressure is reduced in the injector lines, the injector closes and waits for more pressure to build then the injector fires and the cycle goes on. Flow rate of the injectors is not only based upon the injection pump output, but also the injector hole size and number of holes. At the base of the injector are tiny holes in which the fuel shoots from. The bigger the holes, the more flow of fuel there will be. The same goes for number of holes, the more there is the more flow there will be. Pressure will be reduced as flow is increased which may affect atomization of the fuel, which may reduce efficiency.

• 3 weeks later...

I think everyone must have one behind the barn or something, everyone I talk to always has one they don't like to talk about :lmao2: But yeah, they are bulletproof, cheap, gutless engines that can be held to the floor for hours. I loved driving mine but it is wore out and didn't get any mileage. If I could put a 12v/nv4500 in that ford, it would be the funnest truck in the world. The brakes, the steering, the 4wd, it was all awesome. Guess everyone has a hot rod or something they never drive that they love.:cheers:

if you need a replacement ill sell this one super super cheap. its an old ambulance engine that only has a little over 100k on it. it was a a lakeland florida fd truck that was retired in 99' at 100k the engine was pulled because the p/o (a buddy) had cavitation in one of his cyls on the crew cab and another buddy needed the e4od. lakeland keeps their trucks till 100k no matter what year they are. i work with a guy that used to service all of their trucks and he says they are all immaculate. i would have loved to have that ambulance.