• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

smoke coming from dash

i turned on wipers to clear ice from windshield i freed the blades 5 min previous the wipers are off i turned them on now they iced up and smoke came from the dash i turned them off immediately the smoke stopped i free'd the wipers everything else in the dash works any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as soon as it warms up a bit i'll try to find the problem thanks

• Owner

X2^^^^^^^^^ to Mikes question but if it was eletrical smoke the first thing to check is to see if it has the right amperage fuse in the circuit, fuses should pop waaaaaaay before you see any smoke.

:iagree: Dodge has had a problem with wiring the blower motor circuit for years. :rolleyes: Most of it from either weak connectors, blower motor bearing are partially seized, etc. Then a owner uses a high amp fuse to over come a constant popping fuse issue. Hence fire danger. Fire smoke will hang in the air for several minutes. But if its just a anti-freeze leak from a failed heat core it should smell sweet from the anti-freeaze and tend to fog the glass. Heat core steam will usually dissipate in a few seconds.

As I'm reading this, we're talking about the windshield wipers, not heater/defroster. So the Original Post as I read it... freed the wipers. waited 5 minutes, tried wipers. Wipers had refroze to the glass, presumeably stalled. Smoke from the dash. If the motor stalled, it could overload the circuit... including the dash control or the intermittant wiper box. But the fuse should blow first if it's correct amp. It may be in the main panel under the hood. Or did I read this wrong?

it was definetly smoke i opened the windows after that i went to my auto parts store on the way home and bought some air freshioners right now i took it to my friend with a heated garage and he is going to look ar it tonight im going to call him to make the proper fuse is there thanks for the info also i was thinking maby a bad ground i'm no mechanic when i find out i'll be back

i think i burned out the intermittent part of the wiper system but still have normal speed wipers.isthere a way of fixing this?with the wipers on long delayand i put on the high beams or right signal i get one swipe from the wipers.

i think i burned out the intermittent part of the wiper system but still have normal speed wipers.isthere a way of fixing this?with the wipers on long delayand i put on the high beams or right signal i get one swipe from the wipers.

Sounds like your multifunction switch is bad.:2cents:
  • Like 1

Sounds like your multifunction switch is bad.:2cents:

i'llcheck the multifunction switch i checked fuses under hood and in cab ok held wipers while on no smoke yesterday i had wipers on when i stopped them they stopped right in there tracks no return to cowl i have to turn off when at cowl

where would i find the multifunction switch? i hope its not under the steering wheel.

i'm no mechanic but the book say's remove negitive terminals on batteries first (air bags won't go off accidently) while working it looks like its a component which includes your turn signal lever ps book say'syou need a tamper proof torx bit that secure the screws for holding multifunction switch to the steering column

where would i find the multifunction switch? i hope its not under the steering wheel.

It is a complete assembly all the functions that are controlled by it are the turn signals headlight dimmer washer and wiper control and it bolts to the steering column behind the steering wheel, just need to pull the cowling off the column behind the wheel and there are 2 screws that clamp it to the column and one connector, takes about 10-15 minutes to change.

• 2 weeks later...