• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Alternator Charging Question

• Owner

Yeah replace the diodes. That's what filters out the noise and the diodes are just wore out or poor quality. You might be able to get just the diodes from alternator shop and do it yourself.Also you might double check with a high quality meter if you don't have one. Fluke or similar should be accurate. A good alternator like my two truck got are between 0.02 and 0.03 Volts AC.

• Like 1

• Owner

Just because the alternator is new or even rebuilt I always suggest bench testing before you leave the store. Sure it bad o go through all the trouble and get it installed to find another bad diode. It just best to test before you leave the store.Split the case in half and the diodes are typically just bolted to the rear case. Few screws and wires and change yourself if you can buy the diodes. When I was a pup I use to rebuild the 73 Dodge Charger alternator myself because brushes where about 10-12 bucks and diodes where like 20 bucks. Cheaper than 110 for a new alternator.

• Like 1