• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Clutch break in time.

I installed a Valair 400 horse organic clutch four weeeks ago. Love the clutch, but one thing is it still will not engage smoothly. I never had to start out in first with the stocker. But now if i dont the engagement is rough. Maybe i just dont know how to use it. I dont know but ive tried everything . Different ammounts of throttle etc. once i get it rolling it goes ok. But starting in second is rough and reverse is worse. How much longer to break it in? Sometimes i swear something is going to tear out of it.

I run Southbend but most of the "performance" clutches or aftermarket clutches are closer to an on/off switch than what your used to to.They obviously don't like to slip as much as maybe you would normally do when pulling away from a stop. You have to be just a little more aggressive on your release and you will be fine. I know it probably sounds strange but that is how myself and a lot of the other guys I know do it and it works just fine.My 6spd has always been a 2nd gear truck but when I did my first Southbend, it became a 1st gear truck until I figured it out. Now I can pull from a stop in most cases pulling a trailer with second with no problems. After a short time it just becomes natural and you won't even know your doing it.I killed my first Southbend with a massive rear main leak but the 2nd one is still in the truck with over 140,000 miles on it towing almost everyday.1st gear backing up a trailer can be a challenge but that again is easy to master.Jeff

I figured this was the case. It is the first "over" stock clutch i have had in any of my trucks. It is one of those things you dont really hear about much when upgrading clutches. Mine is getting better but when the sheet that came with it wants 500 miles of break in and it has been about 3000 i was wondering if somethin was wrong.