• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

IAT and MAP senors

I have an H/O 6 speed exhaust brake 2001 3500 with 15300 miles now I was stumbling around here and found a thread on cleaning these sensors so I went ahead and pulled them out and and they where very black to say the least now I pulled a pretty good hill just to see where I was at on the EGT and boost then claened the sensors and the same numbers came up didn't seem to help right off the gitgo now should I notice a difference long term or should I be looking at somthing else. Truck seems to run fine no problems but you know could always use more power.Also I do have a banks performance chip don't remember witch one maybe this is over ridding these sensors any ideas?

From what I can tell, you were expecting more power from cleaning those sensors. The IAT sensor only determines when the grid heaters turn on, so your not going to see any power difference there. The MAP sensor does more but just because it was dirty doesn't mean it wasn't doing it's job. I don't believe any chip overrides these sensors as they are a vital part to determining certain factors of the engine, without them, the computer would just be guessing with things.. People do unplug the MAP sensor for more smoke but it does not gain them any power, think it actually loses power.

Edited by ISX

• Owner

Don't want to step on toes but I'm going to add in on the sensors... IAT its used for grid heater yes... But it also controls timing advancement and such too. Not much on fuel rate but does control it some. The reason for cleaning the IAT more that the MAP is because the carbon residue from the exhaust brake usage will coat the bare leads in the sensor and offset the resistance value since carbon is a natural conductor. MAP sensor really don't gain much from clean other than the reassurance that the oily residue doesn't gum up the sensor over time.

• Owner

Yeap that was one of the features to the 24V VP44 pumped engines that the timing was completely dynamic over the VE or P-pumped trucks. But I got to admit the p-pumped truck has less failure with injection pumps and produced more power moded. Back to the OP But as for the chip I would look into a chip that tas the VP44 wire like Edge or Quadzilla... Those will give you more bang for the buck in power but also give you a desent gain in MPG if driven right.