• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

This is great info, thanks Mike. But I have a problem with all those other cars just passing me all the time when the speed limit is 75mph, I just can't take it (lol). I'm coming thru again next month I'm going to try to stay around 70 -75 mph, I know I can get 17-18 mpg. Sometimes I wish I had 3.55 gears. The cost of gears buys a lot of fuel. Then I'd have to buy smaller tires, then I think it would look funny. Not doing it. Thanks again.

• Owner

This is great info, thanks Mike. But I have a problem with all those other cars just passing me all the time when the speed limit is 75mph, I just can't take it (lol). I'm coming thru again next month I'm going to try to stay around 70 -75 mph, I know I can get 17-18 mpg. Sometimes I wish I had 3.55 gears. The cost of gears buys a lot of fuel. Then I'd have to buy smaller tires, then I think it would look funny. Not doing it. Thanks again.

I loved being passed by other vehicles. Because the rare chance I catch one in a fuel station and talk to them typically they are blown away by the MPG numbers I put down with a 7,500# vehicle vs. there little rice rocket. Then after as they make several stops, food, bathroom or for fuel and the owner trying to figure why he's got to pass my slow truck again. :lol: Which I didn't need to stop for fuel since I'm not wasting driving fast. I'm still ahead of them... Back to the hare and the turtle race again. Tires and gear are the ultimate way of getting the most MPG's. But some are just hard set on the big heavy tires and 4.10 gears. Your truck and your money... What can I say? :shrug:
  • Like 3

13 MPG ouch. I went and fiqured out my fuel consumption for the last year. There was no changes to the truck through out the year. It stays in the garage during the winter until the roads clear off. So outside temp was above 30 degrees for all of it. I started driving it on 3-19-12 and parked on 11-21-12. I fill at the same gas station, if I fill anywhere else I make a note of it. I did fill the truck once at Fleet Farm last year and that was it, everything else came from the same pump at the same gas station. So I feel my gallons added is accurate. Total gallons used - 314.715Total cost - $1242.33Miles driven - 5,362Avg MPG - 17.037My best was in April I went down to Chicago with my uncle to look at an '06 Dodge diesel(he bought it). It was a mix of 60 and 70 MPH with 45 minutes spent sitting in traffic idling due to construction. I averaged 22.62 MPG with a head wind on the way down and tail wind on the way back. I was not driving for milage, I was driving how I normally drive.My worst was in July. Went camping with the 32ft gooseneck enclosed trailer in tow. It weighs around 9k loaded on average. I filled up at the station with the trailer and drove to the campground. Didn't drive anywhere with the truck. Then drove home and filled up at the same station with the trailer still in tow. Well over half of the miles were interstate driving at 70 MPH. Head wind on the way there and tail wind on the way back. I averaged 14.48 MPG. I towed alot last year it was probably 50/50 overall. The gooseneck enclosed trailer probably accounts for 2/3rds of the tow miles with a boat taking care of the remainer. This year should be interesting with the Spyntec's. Itching to get it out if it ever warms up and the roads clear. Also I keep all this in a notebook in the truck. Just thought I would post for comparsion.

I loved being passed by other vehicles. Because the rare chance I catch one in a fuel station and talk to them typically they are blown away by the MPG numbers I put down with a 7,500# vehicle vs. there little rice rocket. Then after as they make several stops, food, bathroom or for fuel and the owner trying to figure why he's got to pass my slow truck again. :lol: Which I didn't need to stop for fuel since I'm not wasting driving fast. I'm still ahead of them... Back to the hare and the turtle race again.

I might have to entertain that idea, on the next trip. I do find I get best mpg at 1900-2000 rpm. It's worth a try if I can take it.:hyper: My father used to tell me he could get 20 mpg out of this thing, haven't seen it yet, but he was older and mature...:wink:

• Owner

I wonder what the grade was if any Mike was running on when you did the tests?

Idaho is one long rolling up and down grades. Even the full trip from home to Boise is all downhill. Then its all up hill going home. This is in a manner of speaking looking at elevation changes over the full length of the trip which my GPS can measure for. I can get a profile of the elevation changes as a cross section. I was messing with a bit of math like ISX love to do. Here is a spread sheet of numbers. Some of it speculation and some of its actual measurement. Now 45, 50, 70 and 75 MPH are speculated MPG numbers. Everything else is a result of math and calculation. The 2 drag figures below are truck alone and the truck and RV. post-2-138698199724_thumb.png So even with my truck I got to over come 67.4 HP worth of wind drag at 75 MPH... I know my truck stands nearly 7 foot tall compared to 2WD truck which are nearly a foot shorter. the sq/ft of frontal area make a huge change on wind drag figures. So at 55 MPH I only losing 26 HP to wind drag. Formula is from here.. http://gtechprosupport.com/support/AeroDragCalc.htm
  • Like 2