• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gents,I have searched for months trying to get a definitive answer on a question that has boggled me.2001 2500 rear axle with 35spline full float shafts (verified when i did axle seals), Is this a FULL D80 or a hybrid D70/80?Reason for question is for a locker (detroit). I have tried to look for identification and have been unsuccessful.tnx

More then likely you have a hybrid axle. it has 35 spline Dana 70 axles shafts mated to a Dana 80 center section. While the Dana 70 carrier is the same size as the one used in the Dana 80. The Dana 70 and Dana 80 also utilize a different size bolt to retain the ring gear to the carrier.

so the Dana 70 axle shaft diameter is 1.50"(35splines) Dana 80 hybrid shaft diameter is 1.50"(35 splines) Ture Dana 80 1.50" (35 splines) and 1.58" (37 splines) you can get the Detroit locker in 35 splines and 37 splines you just need to order the one for 35 splines. unless or axles are 37 splines. Hope this helps

so the Dana 70 axle shaft diameter is 1.50"(35splines) Dana 80 hybrid shaft diameter is 1.50"(35 splines) Ture Dana 80 1.50" (35 splines) and 1.58" (37 splines) you can get the Detroit locker in 35 splines and 37 splines you just need to order the one for 35 splines. unless or axles are 37 splines. Hope this helps

hey yote, i have the 1.5" 35 spline shafts full float.

There should be a set of #'s stamped in the housing somewhere that will get you to the all the information you need. Should be on the Dana site but I don't have link to it. I do have this link which has some other links and phone #'s on the last page that may be of help. http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-HVTSS.PDF

thanks russ, when im under again ill eyeball the whole housing for numbers. there wasnt a tag on the diff cover :(

right from the dana 80 service manual. "spicer axles are identified with a manufacturing date and complete part numbers stamped on the right hand tube. The part number may also appear on a metal tag attached to the cover plate by the cover screws,

depending upon the requirements of the vehicle manufacturer.The part number, consisting of six digits reading from left to right, is the basic number for identifying the particular axle assembly. The seventh digit following the dash will identify ratio, differential, and end yoke options used in the assembly. The next group of numbers is the manufacturing date of the axle and is interpreted

as follows. The first number is the month, the second number is the day of the month, the third number is the year, the fourth is the line that built the axle, and the letter is the shift". did you get the locker order yet? If not you need to get the detroit locker for the Dana 80/ 35 splines and you will be good to go.

If you know you have 35 spline Axle all you need is the gear ratio. The Detroit comes 4:10 and up in 35/37 spline and 3:73 and down 35/37 spline. At this point the #s and it being a hybrid don't matter. Hope this helps. I see you did the axle/hub seal which seal did you use? I would recommend the National 415086n for the axle seals. Here is the spicer pinion seal # 43504 and spicer pinion nut # 2001855. I always replace the nut it only cost 16 bucks. I get national seal at 30-40% discount have no problem mailing you seals.