• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

01 lugnuts and center caps on 17" Gen 3 wheels?

I have a chance to buy some factory 17" wheels and tires but he has no center caps and lug nuts. Will my lug nuts and center caps off my 01 with aluminum wheels work? Is the taper on the acorn the same and does anyone have a picture of what it will look like? Thanks in advance.

I put 17" factory wheels on my 2002. Your lug nuts will work. I can't remember exactly what year they changed them, but, the newer lug nuts won't work on the older trucks as the newer ones are metric threads. I also tried my original center caps on the new wheels, and they did not fit flush against the wheel. The old center caps have a metal attachment and the new have a plastic attachment. The new have to be smacked on pretty hard so a lip in the plastic pop over the bulge in the lug nut. I didn't try to smack the old style on that hard, for fear of breaking the expensive bugger, so I don't know if it could be forced to work.

• Like 2

The bevel on the lug nuts on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen are the same. Thread, as noted above, is the same on 2nd and 3rd gen. 4th gen uses different threads than 2 or 3. If you really want to check, go to dodge, and ask parts to show you one lug nut from a 99 and 05 to compare.

• Like 1

Since the center caps snap onto the lugnuts and you will have to re use your lug nuts, theres no reason why it shouldnt work. The big difference will probably be the outside diameter of the centers. I'm pretty sure the 3rd gens are larger than the 2nd and the 4th gens are even larger yet. That should not affect anything other than appearance. Personally I think the bigger center cap looks better, but thats just personal preference. If you do get them and decide you want the different caps shoot me a p.m. and I will make a phone call there is a place locally here that I found that can get them. its been a few years and I cant remember the price but would be glad to check on them for you

• Like 1