• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head stud install help

As long as you don't have any threads boogered up there should be no reason to tap any holes. Are you replacing the head gasket as well or just replacing the studs one at a time?

Not sure, what do you suggest on the head gasket ? I am looking at upgrading my turbo and don't want to lift the head. Currently looking at an Aurora 3000 from ATS.

I'm running #100 plate , 32 psi boost elbow on the stock HX35, 4" turbo back exhaust, Star wheel set about half way, just get a mild haze on heavy accel. Just looking for a little more power and some lower egts. That's the reason for upgrading the turbo. ATS says head studs not needed with the 3000, so I'm not sure. Open to more input as this is all new to me.

Unless you are going to be running 40+ psi boost consistently, in my opinion studs are a waste of money. If you upped the torque on the stock bolts you can get the head gasket to hold 50 psi boost, but the studs are a better option if you want to run that much boost. With studs you run a lot less risk of lifting the head and causing a gasket leak, but even if you do they are not bad to change. Your best bet would be to change them one by one and MAKE SURE you follow what the manufacturer of the studs say for instructions.

Looks like it pushes around 35psi

Yeah there are betetr options than the 3000 for the money. Like ryan said - ARP or H1 really ...... I run ARP. H1 possibly better. Its a bit of a "debated" topic. Really after 35 psi should consider headstuds ...... but people have run stock bolts ober 50 psi no problems. Its just a $$ and a tiem thing if you blow a gasket. Replace 1x1 in correct fashion, no drilling or tapping ........ pretty easy but you will want a BIG and accurate torge wrench. Teh smaller the wrench the harder it will be.:thumbup2:

• 5 weeks later...