• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lost power steering and brakes

I lost my power steering and brakes. I left it set for a couple days started it up and let it run for about a half hour and got them back, but had a loud noise coming from the pump when I turned our hit the brakes. I had read in a couple places to change the fluid, started to do this and noticed the fluid was all foamy. I changed the fluid and it took for ever to get power steering and brakes. Drove it this morning and lost it again, went to check fluid and seen it was coming out the fill cap, opened it up and it was all foamy again. What do I need to do?

• Owner

You got air in the system... Once the fluid gets aerated it tends to foam up and expand. So this is kind of a long process but let it settle and fill it up again. Start it up and run the steering from lock to lock. Then Shutdown and check again... If foamy let it settle before adding. But you got to get the air out to get it stable again...

You won't necessarily see the fluid moving at idle. Was it low on oil when you niticed you had no steering and brakes. I just replaced my steering gear and it took 3 days of driving to get all the air worked out of the system for the brakes to feel normal again. At idle step brake pedal down fairly hard and then you should get some steering. You may also want to pull and clean the pump screen. It is locaded inside part #2 of the picture in the site I will post below. Check out this ite for good info on the pump. http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html