• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Windshield mirror fell off.

Windshield mirror fell off. Was out at work and returned to the truck only to find the mirror on the truck hanging by the wire.Boy, and it was only 119 degrees here that day, so prolly at least 140-150 in the cab. You would have thought that the glue was good for at least 200 degrees! :)Ok, so I get to re-glue the metal holder to the windshield.Any tips, trick's or suggestions? Am assuming that its going to take the special "windshield mirror glue" and not just plain old super glue? Thx,FT

Ya, it takes a special glue. Most auto part suppliers carry a little kit for the job. The first thing I do is mark the outside of the windshield with a felt tip pen. Mark where the mirror was set. Then you scrape all the old glue off with a single edge razor blade and then clean it with alcohol then glue away. If you don't mark the location on the outside of the windshield it will be difficult to put the mirror in the exact location after you have scraped off the old glue and cleaned it with alcohol. You'll have to hold it in place for a minute or so for the glue to set. It's a pretty easy process.:2cents:

• Like 2

John,Thanks and thats what I was thinking but your ideas help. Have done this before on other cars and did not know if the Dodge was any different.I mark things up then glue it on and put a strong magnet on the outside of the windshield with a metal plate on pushing on the inside holder. Leave it and come back in 20 minutes and everything is usually tight.Thanks,FT

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to doing the mirror. Easy once you mark the location and park the truck into the sun to heat up the windshield a bit! Thanks, FT

Had to replace my mirror today too, but there's a wire with a plug similar to a small headphone jack. I have no clue where that goes. (not the one with a plastic connector similar to a telephone plug... i see where that plugs into the mirror) Thanks guys

I will say without a doubt Gorilla Glue super glue works the best!!! Recently I used the "rear view mirror glue" on my Lincoln and that failed in less than a day:banghead: However, applied the Gorilla Glue and it worked so well that when my friend was getting in the car and he bumped his head on the rear view mirror it held so well that it took a chunk of windshield with it when it fell off...And yes the windshield cracked from top to bottom:doh:post-13212-1386982088_thumb.jpg But that Gorilla Glue WILL HOLD your rearview mirror in place..:thumb1: