• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Poll..........To buy.........or not to buy?

Wild and Free

To Buy or not to buy?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. To Buy or not to buy?

• Buy the truck and have a p-pump 12v for future use
    • Let the deal pass and look for a dump trailer

Here is a link to my other thread about a 1994 Ford dump truck model CF 7000 with a P-pumped 12V in it, I have the guy down to $3500, all my research shows the truck to be worth a minimum of 4500-5500. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/8434-1994-Ford-cabover-W-Cummins?p=81511#post81511 http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6172&d=1379782824 I am going to call him by days end to buy it or decline it, I know this is a short window for a poll especially for a weekend when things are at its slowest on the forums but thought it would be fun to see the results. I am leaning heavily towards buying it, I know I wouldn't lose money on it at this point.

When the alternative is a trailer I don't see the value in a truck. Something with a whole set of maintenance to be done and this and that.... Not like a trailer takes anything but pocket change to maintain. It's like buying an RV then never using it. Then you use it and everything is crapped out from sitting so long.

Yeah but a 14 foot gooseneck dump trailer new is in the 8K range and used ones never sell for less than 5K in my area this is a better deal plus I would have a p-pumped 12v to hot rod for a future project / dream. My all in one rock crawler / mud runner / power puller unit!:hyper:Not to mention If my plans don't pan out I have an engine to sell for the average going rate of 1500-2000 and brand new tires I could resell for a minimum of 500 and then the bed and hoist could be sold for 1000-1500 minimum or take and modify the tire wheel setup and suspension and axle and build a dump trailer from this truck.

Yeah but a 14 foot gooseneck dump trailer new is in the 8K range and used ones never sell for less than 5K in my area this is a better deal plus I would have a p-pumped 12v to hot rod for a future project / dream. My all in one rock crawler / mud runner / power puller unit!:hyper: Not to mention If my plans don't pan out I have an engine to sell for the average going rate of 1500-2000 and brand new tires I could resell for a minimum of 500 and then the bed and hoist could be sold for 1000-1500 minimum or take and modify the tire wheel setup and suspension and axle and build a dump trailer from this truck.

I think you've pretty much answered your own question. This is what I would do, and probably keep it until it requires more maintenance than it is worth and then tear it down and scrap it. If you sell the drive train and scrap the rest you should be able to recoup the costs. If it were more long term, I would probably consider a good used dump trailer, but anytime you can get some use out of a piece of equipment and get your money back when it's all said and done is a good day to me. JR

Yeah your purposes are different. As in you want a rock crawler/hot rod whatever truck and you would sell the dump bed etc.. Yet you want a dump trailer even though you are just going to sell the dump stuff off of the dump truck. Soooo do you need something to be "dumpable" or not? Sounds like you just need to dump a load of rock or something and then never need the "dump" use out of it again so you're going to scrap the function of it to create your dreams. If it was trailer vs truck it would be one thing. But what we have here is trailer vs truck for a year then turn around and do something else with them.. In that case the truck wins.

I have lots of rock / dirt to move at the farm, which is a day here and there when I get time to do so which could be several year project and I find myself needing a truck or dump trailer several time a year for other odd jobs and I have to borrow or ask for help from others which I hate.Plus a truck is much more manuverable in a lot of places I like to use it in than a trailer would be.I am still trying to talk myself into it can't you tell.:whistle:

You can't tell me a trailer can't be hooked onto a tractor and taken a hell of a lot deeper into the abyss than that dump truck could ever go. Yes I can tell your set on it. It's like a new computer. You know it will be faster and more powerful and have the potential to handle stuff for years to come. However, windows xp crap can handle internet and email like 80% of the world does with ease.. It's a mind game. You want the truck so you have a 12v to play with. If you have the money to buy either one then let your mind make the choice, buy the truck...Oh a much better example is the iphone haha. Every model has another insignificant feature that nobody uses. People prebuy the damn things though because they want the pointless feature so bad. In the end, people still do nothing but text and talk...same thing black and white phones from 10 years ago did. They just do it a little better now.

I'm going along with ISX on this discussion for several reasons. One is that ISX is looking at it with a clear "let's keep it simple" attitude and the other #2 is if this is a project that you will work on when time permit, it is not an urgent purchase. Your looking at something that is down the line - future - rather then "it has to be done immediately". So if the project is a leisure one, why are you buying equipment to stand around until your ready to work with it. If you were Michael, I'd be saying, "Are you crazy?" My other point is this...do not remove any rocks and dirt from the land unless you have a true perception as to what you are going to be doing with these rocks and dirt. Take a look at the mud slides in Colorado, Mexico, etc., and realize that these rock are a natural formation for a wall and protection in uncertain times. In 1974 it was the rock that lined the driveway that were used to re-route flood waters away from our homes. No sand bags, just rocks. Don't cart them off. Line them up and hold on to them as assurance. Your endeavors on your ranch/farm are a gift during these troubling times.Mopar mom...just being practical!

It's simple, no trailer to connect, and its a fun little P pump. You can buy a lot of licence plate fees and oil changes for the difference between a trailer and the truck... assuming that you have minimal maintenance otherwise.

Decided to pass on it for now..................too many other irons in the fire at the moment.Moparmom, we have a better chance of the earth opening up and swallowing things than we do anything else happening from removing rocks from the prairie, we actually remove them from the open prairie where they are a hazard and a menace to both livestock and equipment and put them in places to actually save land from erosion in natural water shed areas or rip rap along rivers ect. Things are a lot different on the plains than in the mountains or on hillsides that are prone to slides.Also it is a money saver in the short term as well as long term to just have the equipment as I have the ability to do side projects with it and also rent it out at times and if I don't have it then I have to pay someone else to do it or rent it myself and things just happen to pop up unexpected, here on the prairie if you don't or can't do something yourself living in the country by having the equipment to do something can cost one more to hire it done than a piece of equipment would cost even if it just does sit for long periods.ISX, As far as pulling a trailer with a tractor, first off neither I nor my in-laws have a tractor with enough lead in the rear to pull a trailer of rock and then from having a rock trailer we pulled with a 4X4 tractor on my own family farm you have to be very, very careful as to not tear up the trailer.