• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

search for a bed

Well the last two trips I med to the mid west(Iowa and Indiana)have taken a toll on my bed. A woman hit me in Iowa and I, in a moment of brilliance, hit the passenger side with the forks on the lift. they did not penetrate, but sure did leave a couple of good marks. The rear bumper has had it share of a rough life on the drivers side and is bent up pretty good. Backed into a tree with the tailgate down once and bent the bed along with the tailgate. I did mange to find a good tailgate in Iowa for $120. Thats when I notice the bed was bent, but did mange to get that on and looking good. So with all of that and 12 years of wear and tear I thought I could find me a bumper and maybe a bed, hopefully one the right color just to swap them out. The cheapest bumper I ever saw was $100 with a big dent and no covers on top. A decent bed the wrong color were running $500 or more, never saw one the right color. So the other day I am looking at craigs list and came across a white bed, minor damge and no rust, with a bumper and all the hardware, tailgate(though damaged), both taillights with bulbs, sockets and harnesses, some nifty Ram taillight covers(that is if you like them) and a bed liner.post-10340-138698208865_thumb.jpgThe only drawback on the bed is the hole for a goose neck. I have some stainless to make a cover for it or I can leave it for when i sit under the bed and have a place for my head.:shrug: I now have a new project, just cant decide whether to paint it myself, rhino line the whole thing, or wrap it.Picked it all up for $200.

post-10340-138698208811_thumb.jpg

post-10340-138698208821_thumb.jpg

post-10340-138698208832_thumb.jpg

post-10340-13869820884_thumb.jpg

post-10340-138698208848_thumb.jpg

post-10340-138698208857_thumb.jpg

That's a great price. I'm surprised at how good of shape it is in on the outside considering it looks like it's been through more than it's share of battles on the inside. Do you have any experience with automotive painting? It would definitely be cheaper to do it yourself if your confident in the outcome, otherwise might be best just to leave it to the pros :surrender:As for the rhino liner idea that may not be a bad idea other than the hole in the center... if you go that route check out Monstaliner. It is a DIY application, seems to be one of the better DIY kits available. I have a kit sitting in the house, tinted red to match my truck. I have 2 days off at the beginning of the week and plan on applying it. I'll post some pics up of how it comes out. Do you have a bedliner in your current truck? If not I imagine you should be able to find an insert for a reasonable price, that would cover the hole up and any patch job you may do.Anyhow, good find!

No experience with auto painting, but not afraid to try it. If it turns out bad I'll just pay somebody to do it or Rhino line over it. As far as the Rhino liner, I figured to do a do it your self like you speak of. As rough as I am on the paint, it might be a better route. If I did it on the outside I would like to have something that is a finer finish than what I have seen in the bed. Other than the hole in the bed it is almost damage free. The head board is still straight as a string. It is dirty, but the only dents are on the wheel wells. Looks better that mine. The most damage is on the top of the bed rails drivers rear corner, and some hole where tool boxes were mounted. It also has full wheel well liners, something the 02 did not come with. My 96 had them.

nice score!I have a very similar dent in the left rear bed rail... where the fixed tie down hook contacted the gooseneck & bent it right over. LOL!! There are patch pieces for the deck if you really don't need the hole. Or get a junk yard deck piece.

• 2 weeks later...