• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

so i just had the local highly recommended tranny guy rebuild my burnt toasted transmission.first thing, the starter sounds different. do these use shims like the old Chevy's? sounds like its meshing to tight. or something. is this easy to adjust?second. when in gear pushing the pedal the first say 1/4-1/2 inch is really stiff. then it loosens up as it used to be. but only while in gear, R-N-D. not so in park. might this be the "shift kit" that was installed. when in park, no issues pedal is smooth and easy as can be. just how firm do you with auto's shift? i was expecting to feel a difference after the hyped up parts list. but don't feel different to me. mu shutter in lockup is gone however. Thanks all.

On the auto tranny trucks there are no shims. The NV5600s use a spacer though. I wonder if the TV cable is not quite right. If it is not set right it won't shift right.

so i just had the local highly recommended tranny guy rebuild my burnt toasted transmission.

first thing, the starter sounds different. do these use shims like the old Chevy's? sounds like its meshing to tight. or something. is this easy to adjust?

second. when in gear pushing the pedal the first say 1/4-1/2 inch is really stiff. then it loosens up as it used to be. but only while in gear, R-N-D. not so in park. might this be the "shift kit" that was installed. when in park, no issues pedal is smooth and easy as can be.

just how firm do you with auto's shift? i was expecting to feel a difference after the hyped up parts list. but don't feel different to me. mu shutter in lockup is gone however.

Thanks all.

IMHO, it does not sounds like its the tranny. I would check the throttle cable itself. If it started happening after the rebuild, it may be possible they did something to the throttle cable. Right above the vp44, is a black cover for the APPS. Take that off and look at your throttle cable. Maybe even have someone in the truck pushing the pedal seeing if there is a bind somewhere.

Although, it makes me :think: as to why it only occurs in gear...

With my rebuild tranny, when I first drove it after the rebuild I was definitely not used to the shift points and how high it revved before shifting. But the firmness of the shift still felt the same.

You will be able to tell the difference in your performance with it later when you actually use your truck.

- - - Updated - - -

if there are no shims then why or what would make the starter sound so much different then before i took it in? anything i can do?

Crawl under the truck and there is an inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing. 3 small bolts. Look at the flywheel and see what the teeth look like.