• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

04 dodge lift pump issue?

packinheat2

Help!! So after work today I put new shocks on the truck, after I had finished I started it to take it for a test drive, and while talking to my brother the truck hiccuped then died. I tried to re start it but it will only crank over (with no codes). I then opened up the filter canister and it was dry. Also my truck doesn't have the canister mounted lift pump. It got dark too quick but tomorrow I will check to make sure that I didn't bump any wiring connections when installing the shocks, but other than that what are you guys thinking lift pump??Thanks for any help!

• Staff

It certainly does sound like the lift pump. Even thou the in-tank units are very good they can fail. Do you know how many miles/hours are on the conversion pump?Check for loose wires or a blown fuse. If you bump the starter, turn to start and release before it fires, you should be able to hear the pump run for ~30 seconds.

I bought the truck with just shy of 60k and it was done prior to me owning it. Now it has almost 134k so maybe it was just time for it to happen. I'm going to check all the wiring again when I get off work. I was trying to listen last night and did not hear anything from the tank. Also am I right to guess that if I have the cap off the filter canister with the key on it should be overflowing if the lift pump was working?

Ok so I've checked all the connections that were in the area I would have been in when installing the shocks and everything seems to be good. I didn't see any fuses that had anything labeled fuel other than fuel heater, but I checked ones that I thought had something to do with it and all checked out. I traced some wires and it went to a relay any way I can test that? I wish I knew what wires in the harness actually went to the lift pump to I could test to make sure there is power.

10-15psi post filter is fine for an un-modified truck.......usually. Sounds like your Carter doesn't have the "guts" to push diesel thru your FF when it's cold outside!!!! Your last paragraph is not correct. If your LP seizes/freezes, the CP3 doesn't have the ability to pull fuel with that hard of a restriction and damage can occur. AH64ID confirmed this to me last August. I had my LP quit "TOTALLY" on a trip down to KY due to a corroded wire. The pump didn't fail...........the electrical connection/flow did, thus the pump stopped pumping...........my CP3 was able to pull fuel thru the pump because the pump would still turn!!!!! If is seizes/freezes, it's not turning and impedes fuel flow!!!!! If your current pump is stressed by cold weather/fuel, IMHO, you're on borrowed time!! Don't mean to sound like a dickhead here; but, do you have the $$$$$ it'll cost to tow your truck home or somewhere if the LP freezes or fails???

AH64ID, I just happened to find this old post and this kind of sounds like what happened to me. Since I already had the truck running and it was electrical shouldn't of the cp3 been able to pull fuel through it? In my case it sucked the canister dry then died so seized lift pump maybe!?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

AH64ID, I just happened to find this old post and this kind of sounds like what happened to me. Since I already had the truck running and it was electrical shouldn't of the cp3 been able to pull fuel through it? In my case it sucked the canister dry then died so seized lift pump maybe!?

It "should" have been able to pull thru it. But I once left my relay out and it died 2 block down the road.