• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AirDog 150 Install... Clarification?

Ok, Finally making headway on the massive pile of parts needing to be installed on the truck....Tonight I finally installed the "Big Line Kit" from Vulcan, that goes from the stock fuel filter to the VP44, also utilized the T push on connector for fuel gauge as I have been gradually working on installing the gauges simultaneously... I think part of my problem is self inflicted, I spent so much time reading about different options I think at the end of the day I complicated the situation. I ordered my AD, drawstraw, big line kit and Isspro Gauages (fuel pressure, trans temp and EGT) as well as the air dog low fuel pressure light all at the same time... (seemed logical at the time) My kit came with 3 sections of blue hose with the quick connect fittings + the big line kit... Ok simple enough.The Drawstraw has 3 ports on it compared to the original 2 on the fuel tank module... OK (one supply to the AD, one return from the AD and one return from the engine) The long blue hoses that came with my AD are simple enough, (1- to the engine (stock fuel filter), 1- return to tank, 1- supply from tank) I decided to install the AD by going through the stock filter as to keep my fuel in water sensor and heater; besides (two filter systems seemed like it wasn't a bad idea.... Here is where I am having a "blonde moment", where is my return line from the engine coming from since I eliminated the original return? obviously there is a connector ready on my draw straw and I tried tracing the stock lines and honestly I was having a difficult time finding where the return line originates from in the engine compartment. Secondly once I find it, I think I need to purchase an additional length of hose and fittings since I will have already used up the supplied 3 long blue hoses (above mentioned uses) with my kit and the upgraded "big line kit"... Maybe I am overlooking something very obvious... This whole project has taken a life of its own just bc if my limitations of time and ability with still wearing my cast from breaking my leg early this fall... UGH! I think I finally figured out my mounting dilemma since the short bed brackets for the AD are no longer in existence, and I wasn't really excited about mounting it on the outside of the frame.... Once I am finished I will post pics and a write up... I have been trying to remember to take pics during this ordeal...

The return line comes from the back of the head. I have not ever installed a draw straw but I can't imagine you would need to replace that line, just trace it back to the tank once you find it and hook it back up. You should have two returns when it's all said and done, one return coming from the engine and then the return from the AD which if it is the same as the 100 will tee into the vent on the fill neck (or possibly into the draw straw?)Would definitely be interested in some pics when your all done!JR

Thank you for the quick reply... Luckily I did leave the stock supply and return lines... although when I looked at them last night I know that the stock return line is smaller than the drawstraw will accept so hopefully I will be able to find some sort of adapter for it. I just wish the drawstraw came with better instructions... I will definitely make sure to take some more pics before I remount the fuel tank and get everything hooked up properlyOh, also wanted to mention that with the drawstraw you eliminate the splicing of the vent fill tube... you instead have 3 ports on top of the fuel module- 1 supply and 2 returns (one for the AD and one for the engine & VP return)... What I liked about the draw straw mod was that you didn't have to drill any additional holes into the fuel tank so it seemed like a cleaner option to me...

I had ordered the Drawstraw I so unfortunately I can't just clip the stock return into the drawstraw... however looking at the Vulcan website I think I can order an adapter to make the connection... I am going to call them tomorrow and talk to them to make sure I am ordering the correct part... Definitely will keep you posted and will do a detailed write up, so hopefully I can help someone from making the same mistakes that I did...

• Like 1