• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Torque Converter Upgrade Help

My torque converter is on it's way out and I'm swapping it this week for an upgraded billet low stall single disc, anyways, what else should I replace (budget friendly) while I have the tranny out? Seals? Washers?-solenoids are new -new filter and fluid obviously-shift kit -possibly billet servos-pan with a plugThanks

Be careful about "Low stall"!!!!! what brand of converter and what is the stall % or speed? Too low of stall would be anything under 1900 rpms or anything over 90% efficient will not be good for towing or daily driving as the converter is in full stall speed before you hit your engines peak tq/hp range and you will be lugging the engine a lot.I would buy a Sun coast towing VB rather than going with a shift kit. Save your money on the pan with a plug and buy a 5 dollar plug kit for your existing pan if a plug is important to you.Get the billet servo arm but don't bother on the billet piston.Doing these things will save you money on things you don't need and you can put it towards things that will be of benefit.:smart:

• Like 1

I agree with W&F if the TC is worn out the valve body is probably not far behind it. Some of the bigger name trans companies offer custom valve bodies set up for towing that ramp the apply pressure. BD offers one that allows the convertor to stay locked all the way down to 2nd gear (very useful if you ever intend to use an exhaust brake) If your having temp problems an additional cooler will be much more beneficial than a pan. Genos sells a bulk head type drain plug for your OEM pan for 7 or 8 bucks.JR

Thanks guys, but my wallet is kinda dictating everything and right now it's thin. I already have the TFOD diesel shift kit from Transgo and I'm getting prices on Monday from Pro Torque, Transtar (Recon), DPC. Might have to be a patch job for now, like a rebuilt Recon unit for around $600, CR70X-S1. Or any suggestions for single disc around $600-700ish? I know it's NOT ideal but I have to try to keep my truck on the road for cheap. Estimated power ~360HP ~720 TQ?symptoms-TC shudder/pulsing, especially in 3rd lock with OD off-fluid is dark but not burnt- I've heard that is TC clutch material, pan was coating with a light film of it-"slush box feel"

Good luck with your plans..............................You get what you pay for only you will pay to have it done twice.:2cents:Look at it this way, not sure what your shift kit cost but a quality VB is between 300- 500 bucks, figure the price of the kit plus the labor to install it will be about the same as a quality VB in the end.This is where my experience comes to a close, I do not help in "Cobbling" things.

A lower end TC is not going to last long behind 700+ft lbs. And without an upgraded valvebody to increase oil flow and the clutch apply pressures your going to be wearing out already tired clutches. Diesels are expensive to own and if your going to mod one, the basics really should be dealt with first or all too often the end result is a broken down truck with lack of funds to fix it... JR