• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tranny issue

Today I was heading home from work and when I turn hard left or right the trans acts like it is not in gear, if you let off the throttle and get back on it, it kicks back in. What would cause this? I just put a new rear speed sensor and output sensor on the tail of the trans. i do have a new neutral safety switch to install yet.

Today I was heading home from work and when I turn hard left or right the trans acts like it is not in gear, if you let off the throttle and get back on it, it kicks back in. What would cause this? I just put a new rear speed sensor and output sensor on the tail of the trans. i do have a new neutral safety switch to install yet.

Torque converter unlocking/locking? 4th gear (4th lock) unlocks when you let off the throttle, then locks back up when you step on it. You're unlocking at throttle on a turn?

There is a speed range on level ground at 30-40 or so where I believe this is normal. Mine does this too. Let off on throttle and it goes out of lock up, step on throttle and it locks up. It's annoying and I wish there was an ash way to stop this. But it only happens at low throttle and level ground like going through town at 30-35 mph speed limits. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is going to sound stupid, but check your tranny fluid. If it gets a little low when you turn the oil sloshes and the pump sucks a bit of air. You straighten out and the fluid comes back like normal.

This is going to sound stupid, but check your tranny fluid. If it gets a little low when you turn the oil sloshes and the pump sucks a bit of air. You straighten out and the fluid comes back like normal.

I have been checking the fluid level regularly, and it is leaking somewhere under the truck, not alot but I can see some drips hanging on the lines that behind the engine oil pan. I read somewhere about there being a check valve or something to keep the torque converter from draining? I dunno, I have a new neutral safety switch that I want to put in this weekend and drain the trans and put a new filter and fluids in it.

I have been checking the fluid level regularly, and it is leaking somewhere under the truck, not alot but I can see some drips hanging on the lines that behind the engine oil pan. I read somewhere about there being a check valve or something to keep the torque converter from draining? I dunno, I have a new neutral safety switch that I want to put in this weekend and drain the trans and put a new filter and fluids in it.

If you follow the line from the transmission up to the heat exchanger on the passenger side of the engine block, there is a fitting that is threaded into the bottom of the exchanger and then the line threads into the fitting. This is the check valve. It's only purpose is to prevent drainback when you shut the truck off. I removed mine when I rebuilt my trans at the advice of my builder. They are known to fail and when they fail they restrict the flow of fluid and can starve the transmission of oil. The only thing you will have to remember is to give the truck approximately 30 seconds at start up to allow the TC to prime the system if the truck has been sitting.
  • Like 2