• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rancherman Is A Yotahead...

rancherman

well,  my   experience  with  my  new-to-me   Toyota pickup   was  pretty  good  the first month.    My  son  drove it  from   Montana  back to   Nebraska   right after Christmas. This  is  a 1994  4x4  22re  5 speed.   The  22re  is  a 2.4L   4 cylinder..  

It  had   some  timing chain  rattling,  and  clutch  was  slipping some.    Pretty much   expected  on 185,000 miles.

But,  the  body and frame is  rock solid.

Then the  head gasket   let go.....   sigh.   Time to  break out the  metric wrenches.

I  joined    yotatech.com    a  forum site  for  similar  'yota'  enthusiasts!     (  I see  AH641D  lurking  in there too!)  And   while  there is  a  pile of  info to be learned,  it  is  painful in that  site.

I wonder  when  a   site   gets   'stale'  and   there is    thousands  of  members,   (countless   new threads  on  the same  subject....  beaten to death...and   still no   REAL  answer)  

I  read  more  posts  in there    that  berated  a  new member for  NOT 'searching'...   time after time.   

Gee,   reviewing   hundreds  of   10 year old  posts  until  blood  ran out  my eyes,    reading  posts  with  'helpful pics',  (which were removed by  OP)   and   reading   thousands  of replies  such as

"Oh, man,   I got the same problem...  I feel your pain".

" Sucks to be you"

" why are you  pulling the  engine anyway?"

"Fix it this way"

"Fix it  THIS way"

or the  classic....."Get  a  FSM..."     

Lets  just  say,   running a  search  on  any dang  subject   almost  caused  instantaneous  high blood pressure, heart burn,  lower intestinal  cramp,  gout,  possible  epilepsy, tooth loss,   and   partial blindness.   

Kudos  for   Mopar1973man.    My  medical  condition  is  much better after  spending time in here!

Meanwhile,  I am  in the  finishing up stages  of    the  trucks'  mid life  crisis!

I  yanked the  engine.   You  can't  remove the oil pan  to  clean out the  digested   timing chain guide rail...  without  either  removing the  front differential,  or   pulling the  engine.   Out it  came!  

Replaced the  clutch and  flywheel.   (new flywheel is  cheaper than resurfacing old one) 

New head  and  cam.  (again,  almost  as  cheap   as  rebuilding  my old head)...

new oil pump,  water pump,  timing set  WITH  HD  guides,  and     upgraded  the  injectors  to    4 hole  injectors.

I  eventually   pulled the  trans  to  re attach to   engine..  and went  back  in the  bay  as  one.

In  the  finishing  stages  of    wiring and  plumbing,   need to  get  back under and reattach  the  driveshafts and  exhaust..... 

Then,  ON TO MORE EXCITING  PROJECTS!     

Weather  finally  'broke'  here,  got up to almost 50 yesterday!   Nice to be able to  start a nut,  without it  freezing to  a  finger!

• Owner

Kind of like this thread...

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-non-powertrain/950162-new-cummins-need-info-please.html

Shainer said...

Welcome to the forum. Please respect us, and read this before asking any additional questions or starting new threads that have already been covered.

I have a problem with that lazy answer as you'll see I still did what I could to help. I know for a fact that all forum software are weak in the search engine (internally). Even here. I could install Sphinx search engine but it would require a different server for us. But still in all I will not tell a person to search first. Even with all my work on the phone there is never two cases exactly the same. I've had times on the phone and got confident I had the answer sounds like a classic case of "X" only to find out it don't work. Now I'm scratching my head. Thinking up the answer to the unheard of case "Y"...  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

I  think  people tend to  ASSUME   (if  they've mastered a certain  task)  that   it  should  be   common knowledge...  and forget that   there  are  new  people  asking  the  same  questions.... day after day.     They  become  almost  hostile  and  very short  with  answers..

(Oh,   but if  you   'mod'  your  vehicle  with  a  chrome plated  ball  scratcher.....  suddenly,   a  'guru'  is    born)

I  appreciate    links,    and  especially  links  that  work!    Most guys  don't mind  the reading,  and  picture  viewing  is  a  must.   Far too many  pics  have been  deleted by author....    Geez,   the  'rabbit  trails'  I   chased  this  past week!!!  

Too many of  their   'stickys'  have  been    watered down/ confused  by    too many   non-related   comments,   or   comments  that  sabotage the original  intent...      possibly  too many  moderators???   I dunno.   

Theoretically,   from  what  these  guys  state,   there shouldn't ever be  a new post  in  their  beloved  site.. because  ANY  problem  has already been   'solved'......."just  search for the  answer".   pbbbbbt.   :tongue:    

The  billion  of  these  trucks  still roaming  this  planet.... you'd  think  SOMEONE  out there  has    scanned   fsms! 

In here,   you have  the knowledge base,  your articles,   and  of  course,  the   'FSM'!....    Plus, you and  others  will  link them in their posts. 

There  are  several   forums   about  these  little pickups...   I might of   not  picked the  right one  for my needs.     Still,   It  made me appreciate  the  family here,  even more!

I find it  fun  in here  after  posting  a problem/question.....  I  can almost  predict  what kind of  answer  from the  various  members...  

One  could almost  say  this   is  not only  a   forum  for   cummins/dodge  tech,    but  almost  a   blog  type  atmosphere  that   revolves  around  people  that  own   dodge/cummins...     I am sure fortunate to have  found  mopar1973man.com

• Like 1

Fun truck.  The 22R is pretty straightforward and should make a reliable vehicle.  I would be concerned about he head gasket though... as 22Rs aren't known for that.  Hopefully it isn't corrosion on the head surface or anything.  

They can be modified to be quite powerful too, but stock they aren't the fastest.  

pretty sure it  got hot....   couple  clues

1.   new radiator.  Can only assume  old one  was  either  plugged,  or leaked like a sieve...  

2.   after  removing  the  head,   the  cam   didn't want to  turn freely.     the  head  was  warped,  and  bound up the cam.

3.   deck surface  was  fine...  no  pitting

I  put in  a  slightly  longer duration  cam,   good  for   5-10  horsepower gain....   Don't laugh,  this  thing  only  runs  95hp.    

I  put in  4 hole  injectors too..    might  help with responsiveness.

I got it  for   a  gopher truck,   and   compared to  an  'open cab'  sideXside   I  think this  machine will  fit me to a  't'.

CF really drives me nuts with some of the people that are on it. There are a handful of people that will actually help and will follow through with the situation until its resolved, but probably at least 90% of the folks on there are not helpful. I do have to admit, I wish some people would start by either searching or maybe just flipping through the threads at first. Tons of threads get started and then only end up with one or two replies. This is just IMHO of course.

I have always wanted an older toyota 4 runner with the 22re for a run-around truck. I just think it would be fun and save some gas to do it too. Good luck with getting it finished up. Should be a great little truck when you are done.

I have rebuilt a few 22re's, they are simple and reliable little engines. You did good on going with HD guides, however if the plastic guides didnt trash anything on the way down they would have sat in the oil pan for the life of the engine without doing any harm. Did you check the timing cover while it was off for excess wear marks? I've seen those chains literally rub holes through the cover, once the chain gets stretched enough the oil pressure driven tensioner can't compensate enough and the chain eventually breaks the plastic guides then goes to lunch on the cover.

Post some pics up of this beast!

I have rebuilt a few 22re's, they are simple and reliable little engines. You did good on going with HD guides, however if the plastic guides didnt trash anything on the way down they would have sat in the oil pan for the life of the engine without doing any harm. Did you check the timing cover while it was off for excess wear marks? I've seen those chains literally rub holes through the cover, once the chain gets stretched enough the oil pressure driven tensioner can't compensate enough and the chain eventually breaks the plastic guides then goes to lunch on the cover.

Post some pics up of this beast!

There was pretty good chain trail carved into the timing cover, but I couldn't see any

wear-through holes... and reused the cover.

I'm glad I pulled the engine though! The only way to remove the oil pan, is either pull the engine, or drop the front differential.. Sure nuff, the ground up guide rail was down there plugging the intake screen. I got MUCH better OP now! especially at idle!

new oil pump, Cloyes timing set, water pump, new head complete with new valves and springs, new cam, new flywheel and Luk clutch... TOTAL: $678 (Oh, the benefits of buying parts for probably

the most popular engine since GM's 350!... Lets just say the aftermarket is pretty flooded!)

Although, the Aisin brand OP and WP (OEM) said "Made in USA" on the box!

Dang brand new flywheel was 48 bucks... I couldn't take my old one in to be ground for that!

I was getting 18-20 mpg before the freshening, hopefully I can keep it north of 20 now.

FIL, with his brand new 2014 chev 1500, probably gets better than me.. but MINE IS PAID FOR!

Edited by rancherman

That's interesting, I've never seen the guides actually get chewed up so to speak. So you actually had chunks or shavings of plastic in the pick up screen? The new oil pump could have also been a small contributor to the increased oil pressure, although they will generally last several hundred thousand miles being they are a mechanical driven pump. Anyhow, Usually the Guides just break at the bolt hole where they mount to the front of the block, and fall down to the bottom in 1or 2 big pieces and are totally harmless.

There used to be a company in California that built custom long and short blocks capable of 400+ horsepower, I always wanted to get my hands on one of them.

I actually had an 89 that I straight axled and had a fuel injected 2.8 Out of a Supra with some mild head work. That was a fun little truck.

Yah, I was surprised too at the fineness of the plastic. I have a feeling it was down in the pan for quite a few miles. Pieces ranged from just big enough to be stopped by the screen, all the way up to half inch chunk.

I've seen the write ups on building serious HP on these little mills, It takes a lot of bucks! I

think the **** had pretty much 'found' the easy power already...

If I ever get a wild hair, I think putting a 3.4 v6 would be more bang for the buck..

I'll get her cleaned up and some pics later this week.

**** ????? really???? oh, excuse me! Japanese.

Edited by rancherman