• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transmission Leak

My truck has been sitting for several weeks in the shop not being used. It has never leaked anywhere except the crankcase vent then only a couple of drops after parking. I have the 47 tranny, 4 wheel drive with 102,000 miles. I dropped the tranny pan and adjusted the bands about 5K ago and filled with fresh fluid. Pan was very clean.

Now after sitting probably 7 weeks I start seeing a leak where the transfer case and tranny meet.

It didn't start leaking until this week.

Any ideas?

I don't claim to be an expert but as I see it you have 2 possibilities here. Either the output seal on the OD unit is leaking or the input seal on the T case is doing it. Either way, it's not too bad a fix. The T-case is kinda awkward but not super heavy. 2 dudes can pull it out and put it back in without a whole lot of fuss. The OD unit can be pulled off the trans and repaired on the bench, it's not a very large piece. You may be able to replace the seal with it still under the truck, I'm not sure. 

Good luck!